Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: good and the bad  (Read 1887 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Lets start with the good.  Cut the small food plot that was filled with weeds in front of my mothers stand and sprayed it with roundup 6 weeks ago and got a decent kill.  planted groundhog radishes and clover on the 18Th of Aug. and got rain the next day.
view from the stand

Comming up nicely

A closer look.

Now for the bad. In the spring I sprayed around the edge of this plot and the trail leading to the plot to add more acreage to the plot.  I NEVER limed the new area.  Here is what that new area looks like.

« Last Edit: September 09/04/12, 07:30:54 PM by dakids »
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
dakids, on your plot you spraid it, didnt till it? did yor drag anythinh over the seed?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I had the kids use an old junky drag behind the wheeler. Really didn't even scratch the dirt at all. More or less it really only made sure the seeds were not sitting on top of the dead grass and leaves. The tires on the wheeler probably helped the most with seed to soil contact.  And also we got lucky with the rain..

2 years when we started the plot we spread the lime and then tilled it in.   Planning on adding lime around the edge this fall or next spring.

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So two years ago you tilled it? Ihave heard of a no till seed, but cant belive it works as good? Never heard of ground hog radishes? Where do you get seed for them?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got the seed at deer clasic. All seed can be no till or throw and go. U will just need to use more seed and make sure u plant before a rain or try to get seeds to make contact with dirt. Ground hog radishes are also called daikkon I think.  Yes we tilled 2 years ago when we added lime and planted clover. Never got ahead of weeds so I killed it all and started new.