Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: first year turnips  (Read 2178 times)

Offline apr guy

• Minnow
planed turnips here in the metro, came up like crazy but the deer will not eat them they are just laying under the snow? Are they worth Planting again next year?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
It might be a year or 2 before they figure out what they are.  You might want to plant them as a small percent of a mix.  Add rye grain, peas and clover to the mix.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
you have to find what's right for your area.. dakids may be right that they just haven't found them. but my thought would be to try something new until you find something they can't live without.. at my place.. turnips are gold.. but we're surrounded by corn. clover at my place.. deer don't even take the time to P on it.. so I've been rotating through different seeds and products to see what they like. try to local co-op if you haven't yet.. i've found them to be the best and usually there is a grissled old farmer type that can tell you everything you need to know about your regions soil and crops that work. love the local co-op
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I live in central MN and have been planting them for 4 years and have had zero luck with deer hitting them!! I'm sticking to forage soybeans, clovers, rye grain, and winter peas.this year.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i know out the new london way them deer sure like pumkins!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nontypicalhunter

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yep, tried them and zero luck, won't waste my time again. Sticking with grains myself.

Offline MNRealtree

• Outdoorsman
I hunt just north of mille lacs and we plant turnips every year. The deer love them but dont seem to eat them until they freeze. Ive heard that they are bitter until then which is fine with me as it brings them in for rifle season and feeds them all winter.
Winner of the 2011 Ice fishing challenge!!