Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rat trappin dissapointments  (Read 3410 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This afternoon had a couple hrs so decided to go rat trappin. Figured I'd go to some WPA's where I'd have to walk in a bit from the road. Most trappers around my area don't have enough ambition to walk too far from a vehicle and they aren't allowed on WPA land. So even this late in the season should have things to my self.

Wrong. The first pond I could see from the road roughly 20 rat houses. Loaded some traps in the sled and headed out. I knew due to the drop in water level that some of the huts would be too close to shore or on it and would be froze up. Well after a quick count that left me with 17 huts to set up that were in deep enough water to be open. Which was about half of em.

I'll make this a little short 16 of the 17 huts had been invaded by a mink just like in the 1st pic. I wasn't about to go through all them cattails again just for one trap. Next pond same thing only all 8 were invaded by mink. Kinda bugs me when them mink leave they get one rat and leave the hole open. The hut freezes up and any other rats using the hut prolly die but thats mother nature.

The next pond really ticks me off, it was close to the road. Another trapper had been there. It doesn't bother me getting beat to a trappin spot. What does bother me is the way this rat trappin rat bastard goes about it. He set up the nine huts came back one time and left after making his catch pulling all his gear Leaving the huts just like a mink wide open to freeze up which is exactly what happened, as shown by the second photo.

The next pond I did manage to set up 3 huts. One of which I heard a rat dive away as I approached.

Tomorrow I'll go check out some more sloughs but I'm going to bring some mink gear with me too. Another highlight today was finding where an otter had been playing around on the ice near some open water(3rd pic). They are just starting to get a few around here and they are talking about opening season state wide for them in the future. maybe next yr. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/25/06, 10:47:39 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Noticed some are having bite marks in the hides. It's a bit early for that, maybe with the water dropping and drying up they are force to cohabit closer than theycare to.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well yesterday wasn't a dissappointment. I took the boy on the line with me, it was his first time.

No record catches were made but got enough critters so he had fun. The first set we caught a rat and he was just watching to see what I was doing. Then the second set we got another. When I was done resetting it I looked over and seen him drying the fur off in the snow just as I had done with the first. I figure a pic was in order.

We continued on getting a rat here and a couple more there. When we got to the last mink set there we had one. A nice big buck mink and very much alive. That mink screamed at us and the Wyett took a few steps back, not knowing what to think of this critter. (Anyone who hasn't heard a mink scream. It's as irritating as someone running fingernails on a chalk board only louder and with an ATTITUDE.) We got a pic of it and managed one more rat after that to round off the day.

When we were all done an heading home Wyett took a nap. Once he figured things out he made a point to run ahead of me and check first. That wasn't always easy going through tall grass and cattails with his short little legs. I think the little fella was just plain tuckered out.

It was a great day and he can't wait to go rattin again but he still ain't so sure bout them mink.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
hey! thats my truck!! ;D

hows she running griz?
sure do miss that truck. alot of fond memories with that one.

great pictures ans good report your grizzleness.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Griz,

Now that is some good reading. Thanks for sharing. I think it is great you got the little one out there!!! You must be a happy Dad.

Thanks ;)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup truck runs fine.

I never noticed when I took the pic of the mink I could've went a bit lower.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Things are starting to look a little better. With this colder weather moving in some of the fair weather trappers will be pulling the traps. I will be dry when I get home because everything is froze instead of wet.

My aurthritis is bothering me more and the mink continue to eat about 15% of my catch.

This hut produced 2 rats, the one on the right fell victim to a mink. You can see the hole where the mink made it's entry. I did get the thief the next day.

I've only been runnin a short line for a couple hrs a day pickin up a few rats and about a mink a day. but I'm still havin a ball.

Here's for you woodchuck you can see the shelf on the left. Sometimes you won't be able to see them and will just have to feel for them.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D and a big thanx GRIZ! it looks about what i found when i took a look at the pot hole where i get my minnows! good thing those rats dont eat them minks hey?! thanks again for the help, might give it a try ? 8)
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Went to a couple lakes yesterday and out of about 50-60 huts managed to set 1 trap. The rest have been burrowed into by mink and have froze.
~Thomas Jefferson