Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 828 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
               Ask a conservation officer :police::

Do wolves pose threat in woods to dogs and owners? :scratch:

Q:     I heard that a dog was killed by a wolf near Brighton Beach, and now someone found a freshly killed deer carcass in Lester Park as well. Should I be concerned for my safety and the safety of my pets when in the woods? Does the DNR relocate wolves?

A: Although some of these recent stories are concerning, we need to remember that wolves and coyotes are a part of our Northland ecosystem, and have used our forested areas and parklands, including within the city of Duluth, for a long time before these incidents.

It is extremely rare for a wolf to approach humans, but wolves are territorial and can view domestic dogs as competition. Pet owners should keep their dogs on a leash — something that is required in the city limits except in certain designated off-leash areas. The International Wolf Center’s website, wolf.org, has some helpful information about living and recreating in wolf country.

Current federal regulations, and the Endangered Species Act listing of wolves as “threatened,” means that a person may only take a wolf in defense of human life. The DNR does not trap and relocate wolves. Wolves can only be trapped under the USDA Wildlife Services program, and only where there is verified damage to livestock or domestic pets. Wolves trapped under this program are destroyed — so minimizing potential conflicts between pets and wolves should be our first course of action.

Here dogie ...dogie

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03/11/16, 09:25:10 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again