Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
       :reporter; Ask a conservation officer  :scratch:

3/13/17

Q: What sort of easement exists around bridges to access rivers and lakes without being on private property when there is no public access nearby?

A: The only legal access to a body of water with no established public access is through existing public right-of-way or through private land with the landowner’s permission. Except in very limited cases where angler easements exist, there is no general easement that allows hunters or anglers to access a body of water.

If you are looking to gain access to a river or lake that crosses beneath a road, you may be able to get onto the water within the width of the legal right-of-way of the road. However, the width of the established public right-of-way can vary from place to place, even on the same roadway.

State and county highways generally have a right-of-way allowing for travel and maintenance in the ditch. However, some county roads and a lot of township roads may have no public right-of-way through which to gain access.

The local county highway department or other administrator of the roadway can give you information regarding the width of the right-of-way at the location of the possible water access and other information. The easiest method for gaining access in these situations is to visit the landowner and ask permission, and possibly even gain useful hunting or angling information or a friend
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
👍. Just ask. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody walking across my lawn to gain access to the river running through my property.....when they don't ask. I have come home to find vehicles parked, or watched people drive in my approach next to the bridge and park on my lawn to canoe or fish with out permission.. Not where ya want be caught.
But if you take the time to ask, I more than likely will let you park( if it's not to wet ),out of the way some place, and pry even help you land the canoe!! It's more of a respect issue. I wouldn't go walking across or park on your yard in town, why would you think it is ok to do it on mine?
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
👍. Just ask. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody walking across my lawn to gain access to the river running through my property.....when they don't ask. I have come home to find vehicles parked, or watched people drive in my approach next to the bridge and park on my lawn to canoe or fish with out permission.. Not where ya want be caught.
But if you take the time to ask, I more than likely will let you park( if it's not to wet ),out of the way some place, and pry even help you land the canoe!! It's more of a respect issue. I wouldn't go walking across or park on your yard in town, why would you think it is ok to do it on mine?

:Clap: