Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: muskrat food  (Read 2099 times)

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

My father just called me with a small problem a muskrat made his way into the house using the dryer porthole for a door. Now the thing is trapped in his bathroom. He has a live trap and asked me what to use for bait.

As i know nothing about rats I suggested dog food or soft cat food. I know he will get him out one way or another but it just got me thinking? so i came here to  ASK THE PRO  what would u use??
                             Thanks
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline kayaker

• Outdoorsman
Hey bowhunter
An old timer told me when I was a kid that if you sprinkle salt on his tail he will let you pick him up. Never tryed it myself though.
I once had a problem like that with woodchuck in my shed. I took a peice of stiff wire about 3 foot long and bent it so there was a hook on on end. I then just hooked him behind the head and carried him out. It worked good and didn't hurt the chuck at all. 

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
We used to sometimes use apple slices to trap muskrats.
I think kayaker's idea is way more fun though - especially the salt on the tail.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

I must be slow today I cant believe I didn't think of the  old salt on the tail trick (that's how I got my wife)  ;D or was that the salted Margarita?
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
110 double spring conabear..

or
 you could use shelled corn..
« Last Edit: March 03/09/07, 05:13:55 PM by iceman »
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing