Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer Stories and pictures - 2017 deer 4 of 5  (Read 2598 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It was a blustery 4 degrees Friday morning.  My brother in law decided to head to a stand that wasn't used for the past two years.  It over looks some field, some CRP and a large swamp.  We always maintain the stand but for one reason or another no one has hunted it for a while.  He felt that if he got cold it wouldn't be too far back to the cabin.  Just before 9 AM he started jogging in place to warm up enough to be able to safely climb down.  Then he saw the big 11 pointer crossing the field and going in the CRP area.  The buck made it's way across the CRP and headed through the alders near the swamp edge.  I don't know how my brother in law could wait as long as he did to shoot it because I would have shot it on the field.  At any rate he had to holler at it to make it look up so he could shoot it in the chest.  The buck traveled only 30 yards before piling up at the swamp edge.  Solid copper 30-06 bullet did the job once again. 

Brother in law with buck at the spot it fell

My son admiring the buck

View of field and CRP.  The buck came out between the alders a short distance from the stand.
[
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
wow....thats a nice buck!!!!! awesome stories deadeye!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That is an awesome buck.

What part of the state do you guys hunt in, deadeye?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Central part roughly half way between Onamia and St. Cloud.  South East Morrison County

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome deer. !!! love the stories Deadeye.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
buddy sent me this from nodak,big daddy has been around for years,nick named the "legend" based on the sheds found.

Turdy pointer....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/15/17, 12:27:31 PM by snow1 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
holy moly is that ever a nice deer!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Does it matter the species or the state?
First muley ever shot a month ago.  I was able to still hunt/stalk to 20yard in a dry creek bed and even watch him for 30 minutes or so with no "ethical" shot.  It was bedded 1/4 away with its back to me.  Only shot I had was a spine shot through a softball size hole in the brush.  Well after awhile of debating what to do I decided to take the spine shot.  I knew if hit a little right I would still hit right lung.  Let the arrow go, clear through the hole in the brush and CRACK!!!!  He bawled super loud and 15 seconds later arrow #2 was finishing the job.  Hard work cutting, a mile and a half pack job, and 3 hours later we were back at the vehicle amazed at what we had accomplished.  1st time out there and a buddy and I tagged out in 3 days of hard hunting on public land.  Next season can't get here soon enough!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/16/17, 08:33:59 PM by UplandObsession »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Awsome! love these stories, I'm impressed!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"