Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First couple sits for the season  (Read 1334 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I bow hunted Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. Mostly as a test run using my new crossbow equipment. I have TenPoint Halo backpack that holds the bow and all my accessories (bino's, rangefinder, light, knife, gloves, etc.). It's a bit heavy with everything but the advantage is it's all in one bag and carries well on my back leaving both hands free pick up branches and swat flies. It may take a bit longer to setup and put away the bow and gear while in the stand than it did using a compound bow but is manageable. I haven't figured out how to use a haul rope to pull it up and lower it but it's simple to just hang on to handle on the top of the backpack. Using the crossbow in the stand is much easier than I anticipated. It's on par with a rifle in regards to handling and shooting. The scope works great in low light. Ok, everyone is probably bored by now so I will go into actual hunting. On Tuesday just after leaving camp on my wheeler, I encountered a doe watching me approach her. I stopped, got off, got the crossbow out of the backpack, cocked it and loaded an arrow. I then ranged the medium sized doe at 50 yards. I watched her as she slowly made her way into the woods. Cool.  Later just after sunset I saw a doe feeding on acorns about 50 yards away, but it got dark before she got any closer. Wednesday morning I walked out to a nearby stand. We put this stand up three years ago, but I had yet to hunt from it. At first light a small buck cautiously stepped into the plot and after leaving his mark on several trees starting to feed on what meagre greens are available. Later a doe and fawn alerted me with a snort. They were 20 yards away and either saw or winded me. Because it's early in the season and there are a number of does without fawns around, I decided not to shoot her. They milled around for a bit and then retreated into the woods.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I aways used the stirup to attach the tow rope to.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
For hoisting my bow up and down from the stand I use a chalk line reel without the powder in it. Then you can reel it up and put in your back pack when not using it. I also put better line in it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Excited to hear how the season progresses…
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
For hoisting my bow up and down from the stand I use a chalk line reel without the powder in it. Then you can reel it up and put in your back pack when not using it. I also put better line in it.

That's a great idea JB.  Maybe for other uses too.