Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Persuasive Essay  (Read 8593 times)

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am doing a persuausive essay right now on a controversial subject. So I am looking for some help here.

Throw out some ideas fishing related or hunting related for that matter, regarding sizes, slots, limits, seasons etc, etc. I will post the essay when I am done with it.

So help me out and throw me some ideas. I have Guenther, Payer, Gordon and some members of the COC and Roundtable for possible interviews, I will also be interviewing common anglers and will be doing polls on the subject matter on various websites as well.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I'm thinking........ ???

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
what specificaly are you supposed to accomplish with this essay?
what i mean is are you supposed to give a one sided speech convincing people to agree with your side of the subject matter?
or what? i hate school.
but with all these brains i might as well help you little craps gradeate.  ;D
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • N St Paul, MN . . . via . . . Big Sky Country
two ideas

Idea 1.
slots don't work because they put too heavy of harvest pressure on the year-classes that are in the harvest slot
i.e.
a slot is enacted in 2000 of no harvest of 17"-26" walleyes
most fishermen won't keep a walleye under 12"
and most serious walleye fishermen won't keep one under 14"
so for the two years that the 2000 year class is in the 14"-17" range, they are gonna get harvested too heavily because no one can legally keep any 17" - 20" fish
Now come 2005
most of  the fish that were over 26" in 2000 are dead.
the fish that were 17-26 in 2000 are now over 26" (great trophies, but not great breeders)
and the fish that were under 17" in 2000 are now in the protectd slot and are great breeders, but there are less than half as many of them as there should be because they got so decimated when they were in the 14" to 17" range

idea 2
closing the walleye season from end of Feb to middle of May has no benefit to the walleye population
i.e.
if you legally harvest a female walleye in Jan/Feb or if you illegally harvest her in March/April, the biological affect is the same
either way she can't spawn during the first half of May

M Y . D I S C L A I M E R

CW just asked for CONTROVERSIAL subjects; I'm just throwing a couple out there for him to consider.
I don't purport to agree or disagree with either of these ideas.  (although I do lean heavily toward agreeing with idea 1 in certain places during times of high catch rates)
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here are the options:
1. Is extending the walleye season one week longer, really affect the fishery that much?

2. Should a minimum slot be inacted for muskies, and what would should be the minimum and why?

3. With the price of gas money, are you planning to make a summer trip up to red, even with the proprosed slots and regulations?

4. Are the penalties for those that are well over their limit strong enough?

5. Should Panfish have a season to protect them during the spawn?

6. Would you rather see Red Lake be managed for a trophy walleye lake or a trophy crappie lake?

7. Would you pay the Red Lake trip an access fee to fish all of Upper Red and Lower red? If so, why would you, how much would you be willing to pay.

Lets narrow it down to one of these 7, then we can go more into more detail.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I like #4 and #5

4. Are the penalties for those that are well over their limit strong enough?

5. Should Panfish have a season to protect them during the spawn?

My opinion on #4, not even close.

My opinion on #5, Definitely on certain lakes.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
i feel strongly about number five.
though i don't think closing the season down is the answer.
lets close off spawning areas. they do that on some lakes that have spawning areas that are easy to target, but more lakes need to be targeted.
« Last Edit: March 03/20/06, 07:29:51 AM by jigglestick »
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • N St Paul, MN . . . via . . . Big Sky Country
Upper Red should be managed as a crappie lake.
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
#4 gets my vote everytime...

Offline ICETP

#4 is high on my list.
 Chris thanks for the info on Saterday, we could all take a lesson on keeping less and returning more. I think that each individual can decide for him or her self on weather or not to take the full limit we are entitled too! ie:  The fish are really biting and the legal limit is 20, I want a meal of fish.............I will only keep 7 for a meal for myself...............you can catch and release the rest, take photos they last forever. (we caught enough for a meal for two of us-released the rest...............Mille lacs    3-20-06)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd like to see red managed as a crappie lake as would most others I've talked to but it's already too late for that now.

Panfish season should remain as it is but as mentioned b4 closing spawning areas on some more popular lakes could be beneficial. On some less popular lakes it might even be better to allow more liberalized harvest. I know of a couple lakes that are getting to the point of being stunted on account of lack of harvest. Being less popular means a lake gets little or no attention from the DNR. This could take up a big part of a discussion in it self.

As could punishment of poachers. Looking at it objectively it's already a gross misdemeanor with fines per animal and confiscations of gear and vehicles. Should it be classified as a felony? A felon looses the right to a gun for 10 yrs but they have already lost that right by commiting game violations. I really don't know what could be done about the situation but I don't think poachers should be dealt with the same as a murderer or rapist(half these people get off free).
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson