Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anybody handle or shoot the Stoeger Uplander?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just wondering.  I know you get what you pay for, but wondered about the Uplander's fit and finish, dependability, etc.
Dan

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I've got the Stoeger Condor and am very happy with it. If your looking for a field gun, a stoeger is the way to go. I've been tempted to buy the uplander, but I'm just not sure I could get used to a SxS. Anyways, I've been very impressed with my Stoeger. You can't beat it for the money.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good to hear about the Condor.  I've also got a line on a 99% Huglu Ringneck (12g/28" w/ 5 tubes) for $650.  Waiting on word.
Dan

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've got an Uplander in 20 gauge that is used for partridge and pheasant hunting.

Bought mine in '97, and have had no problems with it.  The wood was extremely dry and blond colored out of the box, so I spent some time working oil into the stock - which now looks really nice.

After some testing, I realized that the gun shoots low for me when I mount it quickly, so I had to retrain myself on sight picture when shooting. 

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.  I am a big fan of SxS for quick wingshooting, and due to the reasonable cost of the Uplander I'm not afraid to use the thing hard or under nasty conditions.

I am curious if anyone has tried out the Remington Spartan line of SxS guns yet.

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey Jackpine -  Welcome!

Wish I could contribute to the gun conversation, but I don't know squat -  other than the three shot, bolt action .410 I grew up hunting rabbits and partridge with at Lucky Boy.  It is now retired in the gun cabinet over the fireplace.

Maybe it's time to take it out of moth balls and go hike some portages next fall.  And even maybe, just maybe I could get Bob the Bartender over at the "The Lodge" to take a hike over to Crab Lake with me.  Lord knows we could both use the exercise.  Last time we did it - about 6-7 years ago, I missed two ground swatters that were less than 15 yards from me.  How bad is that?
« Last Edit: January 01/18/07, 05:29:26 PM by Harold »
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey guys...I spent about a year and a half researching and lookin at SxS's.... I guess all I'd say is the ol' addage is true, ya get what ya pay for.  The uplander is the better of the budget SxS's but all those russian made guns swing like a lead pipe, but then if your gonna beat the hell out of em...theyre the way to go I guess... the nicest SxS's on the lower end are the CZ's... which now are the turkish made Huglu's.  They are much nicer than the spartens, stoegers,bsa's and such.... the next step up is the marlin lc smith, its not nearly as nice as the lc's of old but it s nice for the money.  I ended up buying a Weatherby D'Italia, its an italian gun. I paid more than I intended, but I actually shoot it better than my citori that Ive been shooting for years upland huntin and for sporting clays!  I'd never shot a SxS before I bought it, so I was worried about adjusting to the sight plane, the double triggers and all, but I had no problems at all!  I just saw that S&W is comming out with a mid priced SxS this year also.....I bought the Weatherby in 20g, and I like it so much I'm lookin at gettin a 28g SxSsoon.... that ringneck aint a bad lil gun, I may be goin that way...turkish guns are better now than in the past and you can actually carry one around all day!  Grouse huntin demands a little lite gun that reacts as fast as you can point, not a heavy barreled gun that follows thru like a clays or a waterfowlin cannon. Those russian guns have really thick barrels and swing like a fence post...but they're cheap! ;)    -thunderpout