Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: they're runnin'  (Read 4891 times)

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
with the anual schmeldt run nearly a week ahead of schdule this year, i can say, that i have never seen weather so nice for schmeldting. i am used to temps hovering at, just above, or just below freezing. strong winds out of the north, northwest. having the net handles freezing with a glaze of new ice as we are pulling seins. the nets freezing stiff while laying on shore awaiting the next pull. maybe we would even be blessed with a new inch or two of new snow.
not this year. this year i found that the first day of schmeldting was 55 degrees at ten oclock at night, with a light east, southeast wind.
there has been little change in the weather except that we have had about two days with rain, which preceded a boom run.
we went from zero fish one night, to a half dozen the next, to four to five dozen, to a half a bucket, to this...

Daveo, Larry and Griz made this pull.

meeting up with old friends from last season, and new folks i hadn't met before.
it's all good.

my patience and persistance has paid off.
when Daveo, and Griz rolled into town with four days available and two of those days forecast for rain, their timing couldn't be better.
i felt the odds were in our favor, and with the new rain came the fish.

and come in they did!

they were even so thick at one time, bobbing for schmeldt is now considered an olympic sport!!

this is an anual event that i look forward to each year. fresh schmeldt is a smell like no other.
fresh, almost sweet smell, that stays in the net from season to season.
i will make it out maybe a couple more times as the run slows down.
i need a little to can. schmeldt sardines packed in mustard sauce. mmmm boy them are good.
then of course the second anual putz schmeldt fry.
the date has yet to be set, but we will let you know here and on IBOT as to the date and time.
happy schmeldting!
« Last Edit: April 04/24/06, 07:40:47 AM by jigglestick »
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline BUCKHEAD

• Outdoorsman
great pics. dave glad you hit em but sorry i could not make it.i might have ended up in the net also.i'll be watching for the date i'll be a good boy this year.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
buckhead, i hope the knee is feeling better.
i would like to see the same crowd, plus a few at the schmeldt fry. i think you will have much more fun this year without snowsnakes special concoction ;)
glad i only had one pull. that stuff tasted like rootbeer flavored gasoline! :o

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cool.  Been a long time since I've seen that many schmeldt in a net.  Looks like fun!!
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Hey Dave, Where was this?

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It was a blast alright this was my first time going and I can tell yea there is nothing better than a night of good pulls with great friends.

The only bad thing about it all was I had to come back home from all of that.

cant wait till next time.

Shut up and Shoot

Offline eelpout

• Outdoorsman
That looks like a Pokegama run. 
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
"Get away from me you big brute, you smell like fish"? :D

When is the smelt fry Jiggle?

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
"Get away from me you big brute, you smell like fish"? :D

When is the smelt fry Jiggle?

i told putz i thought it would be a good idea to have the schmeldt fry before opener, but time is running tight for that.
how many weekends between now and then?

he wants to leave the date up to uncle floyd because he wants to be there for sure.
he had a ball last time.
i wouldn't even care if they wanted to do it opening weekend, but i'm sure that would not work out for a lot of people.
what weekend did we do it last year?

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Snowsnake

• Outdoorsman
Hey Jiggle are they still runnin? get back to me today and i might just be able to find my way to you right around pullin time. I had so much fun last year i don't want to miss it this year. you got my cell number give me a holler today and if your pullin tonight i think i will be there

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
i could probly be talked into it.
i had planned on putting all the stuff away.
i would like to have one or two more guys along though.
they may or may not be there. they were there strong two days ago, but tonight? who knows. if we go, we go rain or shine. be ready for it.
let me know.
anybody else care to jump in for a last minute schmelt pull?

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Schmeldt fry would work great 2 weeks from now for me. That might not work for everyone but just a suggestion.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Schmeldt fry would work great 2 weeks from now for me. That might not work for everyone but just a suggestion.

Fishing opener Griz? I'm sure most allready have plans for that weekend. I'll be on Mille Lacs.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Doh what was I thinking must of had another brain fart.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline PUTZ

• Outdoorsman
It looks like the schmeldt fry will be on the 20th of May At the Villa come rain or shine.
Come one come all , we can do it.
PUTZ
Lets talk this out over A campfire.
And A cool Miller lite.