Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Facts You should Know  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Question of the Week

Q. What's the correct length of rope that should be attached to an anchor?  I say that you should have at least 10 times the amount of line out as the depth of the water.  My buddy says you only half of that.  Who is right?  Does it even matter?  

A. Anchors hold best when the pull of the "rode" on the anchor is as near to horizontal as possible. The holding power of an anchor increases as the "scope" ratio increases. A ratio of 7:1 is standard; 10:1 is better in rough water. For example, if boating in eight feet of water and the bow is two feet above the waterline, 70 feet of rode is recommended. Boaters should carry at least two anchors. A smaller, lighter anchor is good for use in calm weather and for positioning a boat, and a larger anchor is best for bad weather or when anchoring overnight. Boats should never be anchored from the stern (back of the boat), especially in current.

To anchor, the boat should be headed into the wind or current. The engine is then reversed or the boat is allowed to back off. When the boat starts to go backward through the water, the anchor is lowered from the bow (front of the boat). As the line goes over the side of the boat, no one should be standing on any part of it. The end of the anchor rode (called the bitter end) must be secured to the boat. When about a third of the rode is out, the rode is tied off to a forward cleat to make the anchor dig into the bottom. Once the anchor digs in, the remaining rode is let out. A sight bearing is then taken on some stationary objects to make certain that the anchor is not dragging on the bottom.

When "weighing" (pulling up) anchor, boaters must be careful. The combination of anchor pull, current and weight can swamp a small boat. The anchor should be lifted as vertically as possible. As it is lifted, it can be washed. Care should be taken that it does not hit the side of the boat.

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ??? ;D  gee ! thanks SMG !! always wondered how much a person had to pay out to have a good steady anchoring support ? now i know why my 10 feet of rope dont hold in 8 ft of water ? 25 FEET DONT WORK VARY GOOD EITHER! SO 50 TO 70 FT IT IS. thanks !!

woodchuck ::hittingself::
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
That is some excellent info that I never knew SMG, thanks for sharing that. It does make sense when you sit and think about it. 
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
good info .... nice to this thanks for sharing  ::fishing:: ::fishing::

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman