Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Beware of Muskie!!!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This is why I don't swim in lakes ;D

Muskie Likely Bit Boy In Lake Calhoun
(AP) Minneapolis Maybe this time, the fish decided it was time to get even.

Instead of becoming prey to anglers, a large fish turned the tables this week, and took a bite out of 9-year-old Paris Copeland's ankle while he was swimming in Lake Calhoun.

"My poor son," moaned his mother, Westy Copeland. "He adores swimming. Now he claims he's never going back in."

Paris and his family were at Lake Calhoun's busy main beach on Memorial Day when Paris felt something strike his ankle.

"All of a sudden he comes running up on the beach, not crying but very concerned, saying 'Mom, something bit me,"' Westy Copeland said. "Blood was just gushing."

The child's leg had an inch-long gash and three teeth marks.

Paris said he didn't see what bit him. "I just felt a ton of pain," he said.

The family was later told that the fish could have been a muskellunge or a tiger muskie -- a muskie-northern hybrid. Both species are aggressive, can grow to 3 or 4 feet or longer, and have mouths filled with razor-sharp teeth.

Fish bites are rare, but they can happen. In 1995, a 13-pound, 38-inch-long muskie bit a youth in Lake Rebecca in western Hennepin County. That fish was later captured in the enclosed swimming area and moved.

But officials say Paris could probably swim in Lake Calhoun for the rest of his life and never get bitten by a fish again.

"For all of the muskie lakes we have, and the number of people and amount of swimming that goes on, we sure don't get many reports (of serious fish bites)," said Daryl Ellison, Department of Natural Resources regional fisheries manager.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess I better not go swimming with my Rapala brand swim flippers anymore!  ::hittingself::
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Woody!  I think we just better round up all those useless muskies and put muzzles on em'....come to think of it...that just dosent make much sense....no, better mandate all youngins wear kevlar wetsuites and yard helmets when entering muskelunge infested waters.... :ROTFLMAO:                 -thunderpout ;D

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
WARNING! :

Be sure all kids are wearing full football or hockey protective gear before entering water!
Oh-and make sure they have on their life jackets too!  :ROTFLMAO:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
I just caught the end of this story on Channel 5 tonight when I got home. Strange......   ::fishing::  :gunsmilie:
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline MuskyManiac

• Outdoorsman
Just as long as i know there biting !!!!   ::dancinred::

Offline buckshot

• Outdoorsman
Just tell the kid if a Musky ever comes into HIS living room he has permission to bite it....seems fair...an eye for an eye. :ROTFLMAO:
« Last Edit: June 06/01/07, 12:08:22 PM by buckshot »
Walleyes come and walleyes go....but the memories last forever!!

Offline A-Rod

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I know where Im bringing the canoe this weekend

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Can you imagine being that kid?  He was just playing in the water when bam something bit him.  I bet it scared the crap out of him.  It would have scared me.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN