Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Need your advice........  (Read 3396 times)

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What would you buy a tractor or a bobcat? We are debating and need some input. We would use it for landscaping,plowing, and making foodplots.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'd go with the tractor, they seem a lot more universal to me. How about an ATV and the necessary tools, would that get it done? Plus you can use it for hunting and fishing.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 bob cats are a great piece of equipment ! and theres not much you cant do with them ! but from my point of view and experiance, a small farm tractor and older implements are the way to go . as for the Q.  how much are you willing to spend and how much work are you expecting out of this equipment is what needs to be answered ? i would use a tractor !!

Â                              woodchuck  ???
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Tractor. I think you can do much more with a tractor depending on what kind of tractor you are talking about.

I know that I have been mulling over some different ideas at my house recently and it seems that the tractor would be more useful as it is more multi-pursposeful (not sure if that is a word).

Never owned either but that is just what I have been learning lately.

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wow that was fast answers! Thanks!

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 lots of sidework with the bobcat , profits to be made...

Offline redneck rambo

• Outdoorsman
How about a UTV   like a polaris ranger or similar vehicle,  my buddy just bout a camo Kabota with a heated cab and it's diesel powered not vey fast but lot's of power and you can get ton's of different impliments to attach to them, not too mention you could use it for hunting and ice fishing, How cool is that?
That's gonna leave a mark!

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, we have both

We plow all our snow with the Bobcat

We put round bails in for the cattle with the Bobcat or the tractor after the bails become heavy with snow and froze to the ground

we clean pens and remove manure with the Bobcat

The Bobcat can work in tighter areas than the tractor

The Bobcat woulds be much better for any clearing you would need to do for a food plot

The Bobcat would be more useful when doing any landscaping

The tractor might work better for actually working the ground with say a disc, plow or cultivator

If you were to get a skid loader(Bobcat), be sure to get one big enough to do the work. Small ones tend to be more of a toy than a tool. Also buy one that is in good working order. They can be expensive to repair, as can any piece of equipment

There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

I would have to agree with Bufflehead with one exception the pull behind tools for food plots -plows,gang disk,chain harrow,sprayer, and seeders i found to be cheaper if you stay away from the 3 point hitches (tractors)and still do the job

How big of a food plot are you thinking of doing
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
depending on size of tractor ...  bobcats can get spendy. also you really need to nail down exactly what you plan on doing.either way you go , it is gunna cost you. just make sure you get the right one for the job. Bobcats have come along way  with attachments to do just what you are talking about. they are trying to eliminate the questions you have. tractors are basically tractors . they have some  great attachments but not nearly what you can get with a bobcat. so ask yourself  what you are going to do and if it is versatility then lean more towards the bobcat.  just my thoughts. i have done both of what you stated  and found the bobcat a better choice for me. good luck
member  # 569

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You guys are great!!!!!! This is the info we need. I'll let you know what we decide but this info is very handy and is from experience and that is cool. We have 75 acres that we have big plans for to make our own little wildlife haven. We are starting now and will continue so that when retirement comes around(along time) we will be set up to relax.(hopefully) Its a long road but a fun one!!!!!!!!

Offline MuskyManiac

• Outdoorsman
I too would go the Tractor route for what your talking about doing, I just sold my Bobcat and cant be thankful enough its gone, besides the cost of maintenance on a Bobcat you soon learn that you hear from people that haven't called you in months, or years wanting to borrow it. My uncle called once and asked if he could borrow it and i said sure then he also asked to borrow my truck and trailer to pull it with!! I would go the tractor route and not buy a trailer for it !

Offline buckrub

• Outdoorsman
 id get both, then a freind may watch the little ones while you both can play in the dirt! ;D ;D

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
We have 75 acres that we have big plans for to make our own little wildlife haven.

you may need both! ;D

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well we are buying a tractor.....TO20 MAssy Fergusen...restored and will be ready to go in two weeks. Thanks for the info.... I'll get pictures once we have it up north and it up and running...LUVNLIFE

::dancinred:: ::dancinred::

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
OK but we want action photos.  None of this "parked in the driveway" stuff.   ;D

Grute Man  ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.