Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: northern pike, "Y" bone removal video  (Read 7919 times)

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline shakey legs 2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This is the best video I have seen demonstrating how to take the Y bones out.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly as much fun.? Robert Traver "Anatomy of a Fisherman"

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
thanks jiggle  very informative. a little diffrent than what we used to do .  but looks like a better deal
member  # 569

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Excellent.  Not much waste there at all.
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

I will definitely try that this summer, normally I would never keep northern.but it looks to easy not to try.Now the kids wont give me that look when i tell them to let it go  >:(
                    Thanks
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Great video...they make it look soooooo easy.   ::fishing::    8)
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dang, he totally massacreeeeed that fillet.

If you're any good at the technique, you leave the skin on the fish until after the y-bone removal is done, and then you have one fillet.  Not several pieces and chunks.

Sorry guys, but that was The Amateur Hour.  The use of the electric knife warned me up front - but you'd think they would have at least found someone marginally competent to show how its done.

With little slimers for shore lunch, there is another technique known as "scoring" in which the Y-bones are not totally removed, but a series of cuts in the fillet allows the hot grease to penetrate and soften them to the point that they are not noticeable.