Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: just a question about turkey hunting ???????  (Read 4682 times)

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i am new to turkey hunting and im really eager to try it ! is the only way to get a turkey hunting liscense in minnesota is threw a lottery form ? or is there other types of liscenses i can get ??? any info would be appreciated

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This should be helpful:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

You do need to apply. Last time I did it I think it was maybe $3.00??  That was just to apply. You either get a permit or you don't. Sometimes there are surplus tags and if you applied and were not drawn you may have the option of buying a license over the counter in a different area or time frame rather than what you applied for. This is just good for people that did apply and were not drawn.

So....yes, you need to apply ;)

Offline Crazy4Outdoors

• Outdoorsman
As Mayfly said, yes you need to apply, and it is $3.00 (nonrefundable whether you get drawn or not.)  If you are a landowner (owner of at least 40 acres) you can apply for the Landowner Permit and there is greater success of getting drawn, but then you must allow hunters on your property to hunt.  Otherwise, for the general drawing, you're supposed to be drawn at least once every 3 years.  You'll earn one preference point for each year you don't get drawn.

When you apply, you get a first choice (for one of the 8 seasons) and a 2nd choice.  If you don't get drawn for your first choice but you do get drawn for 2nd choice, you do not earn a preference point.  So if you'd rather just take a chance at getting your first choice, you can do that and as Mayfly said, you can maybe buy a surplus permit over the counter - those are usually for some of the later seasons, but sometimes there are a few surplus available for earlier seasons too.

Hope you get drawn.  Turkey hunting is one of  my favorites!  The application deadline for spring 2008 season is December 7, 2007.  Good luck to you.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot