Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Water temps effect on fish?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
As a fairly new fisherman, I have what may seem to some to be a silly question, but here it is anyway...

When the air temps increase as they have been recently and cause the water temps to increase, how much does that affect where the fish are?

Does it drive them deeper looking for cooler water or is there not really much of a change?

::fishing::
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
Does it drive them deeper looking for cooler water or is there not really much of a change?

Depends on the species but in general YES they do go deeper in the summer to get away from the 80+ degree temps of the shallows.  In general walleye can always be found on the shallow rocks year round, pike / bass / panfish can always be found in the shallow weeds.  I do find many of my bigger bass, pike and panfish in the deeper water, particularily deep water with shallow water close by. 

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman

Me? Most of the time I'm wish'n I was fish'n, but I do like to get my worm wet, as often as I can!!   :rock:  :whistling:
« Last Edit: August 08/15/07, 09:08:32 AM by Outdoors_Realtree »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess i can side with Scott Pugh on this on i was out on gull lake a few days ago and found sunnies and gills in 30+ I'm sure there were a few bigger game  fish out there too ..

I have seen over the years walleye and pike in water well over  60 on a few different lakes ..

so i guess my answer would be YES fish do go deeper when it gets hot out ..
« Last Edit: August 08/03/07, 06:36:04 PM by iceman »
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Rt..also the fish in the early spring time will not come into the shallows until the water temps warm up quite a bit, especially crappies, the temp needs to get up to about 62 degrees or so for them to come in for the bite.  Just my little added tid bit here.....
gg ::fishing::  (I learned about it watching some fishing shows a time or two)