Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Whats the longest shot you'd take  (Read 14672 times)

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
 No room for a little humor I guess ::) ::)
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
I guess this post is a little old but I'll stir the pot a little. There is a reason that the average shot for white-tails is about 20-25yds. It's because of the style in which hunting most white-tails is done and longer shots (what-ever that distance is) aren't necessary.
I'm not sure why talking about "long shots" w/a bow stirs such controversy and why some people get offended when someone talks about shooting at distances twice as far as the average distance that 90% of bowhunters take. Irrespective of the distance of the shot, whomever is taking the shot, needs to feel confident on the particular shot, possibilities of a marginal to bad shot and think ahead just as if you were shooting a gun. I've run into few people even willing to shoot that far, even for practice's sake. So be it. I've run into even fewer people that actually practice that far as they've decided that rather than take a longer shot, they'd rather take a chance on seeing the deer on a different day in a different location where a closer shot is possible (or possibly not ever see the deer again). That's fine and I respect that.

I would concur that most often a shot over 20-30yds isn't necessary for white-tails. However, there are times and situations that the average shot isn't in the equation. Some choose to pass if it's out of the average range and others prepare in the event a longer shot presents itself.
I don't care if you agree or disagree w/what I do but I'm offering it up as some food for thought. I have shot animals outside of the average ranges on a number of occasions. However, I have never shot a white-tailed deer from a tree beyond 40yds. I've just never had that situation present itself. I've never hunted an area where I would've had a shot outside that distance because of other trees etc. Would I take a shot over 20-30yds on a deer? Just like any other hunting situation...it depends on a lot of factors. The chances of getting a longer shot (for me) just haven't been there. I certainly wouldn't set up for only a long shot as I'd have to work harder than I do to find a spot for my stand for a nice 20yd shot!! But, if I ever found a spot where I set up on the edge of trees and deer were skirting me in the open field I would certainly consider a longer shot.
When you bowhunt "out west" 20-30yd shots are few and far between on average. Therefore, you'll see fellas out west w/considerably more pins on their sights than guys east of the Mississippi. So why can guys shoot longer distances out west and not apply them here? I guess you can but the need generally isn't there. And by the same token, I don't begrudge anyone for shooting whatever distance they want, so long as ample practice, confidence and reason precede the shot. Wounding an animal can happen at 15yds just as at longer distances. Personally I'd rather shoot an animal at 50yds than 25yds as in my experience they know something is up when they hear it in the 25yd range whereas at 45-50yds, they hear something and don't generally jump the string but rather look toward the noise offering the time for the arrow to make it's mark.
There are also set ups that are considerably better suited to make shots like that. Sure you can make a shot at, say, 80yds w/a somewhat noisy bow shooting 250fps but a better suited set up would be shooting closer to 300fps from a quiet bow. Too many variables to comment on here about but I hope you get the idea I'm trying to pass.
My thoughts here aren't to imply whatsoever that anyone that shoots further is a better hunter/shooter or what have you, it's just that if they have decided to do that, they should have certainly put considerable time/thought into making those shots and most likely have. Again, it's not all that likely to happen, IMO.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would have to say that the longest shot ive every taken was about from over here to about over there :whistling:
Shut up and Shoot

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
you'll shot your eye out kid.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Very well stated model12. Somthing I have always felt should be added to posts such as this one is the weight bow a person is shooting.

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
My Max is 10-65 yards depending on my "feeling". I like to shoot deer, and hate not finding them. If I shoot, I do it under the thought that I will kill them. No kill, no shot. It is EZ enough for me. If you can kill a deer at 3,000,000,000 yards with a bow, do it! Also, film it, I would like to see that. What ever you KNOW you can, not only HIT a deer, but KILL a deer, is fine by me. My personal is 45 yards. No joke I'm good at 45 and bad at 50. I will not kill a deer at 50 every time, so I will not shoot at one. If you can go for it...... and send me some chops!
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Last year my max distance was 30 yards do to the locations of my stands. 40 yards I feel would comfortable but to this day i haven't evn come close to that considering i love hunting the thickest cover i can find. So in that last couple of years all shots have been 20 yards or less.

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
My comfert zone is max 50-60 yards depending on the conditions and the behaver of the deer, I do praratice all the time too I use to shoot alot of compition but I do have to agree with Spinhach not all archers can and would shoot that far for hunting, 50 yards is quite a poke for hunting with a bow alot can go wrong but if you have the perfect conditions and you can read the deers behaver you can tell if the shot will work or not..

My last 3 deer taken with my bow in Minnesota have been at 43 yards to 56 yards
one deer taken in Texas this past january was taken at 47 yards...