Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: "The eyes have it"  (Read 6742 times)

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
The Eyes Have It
Matt and Barry Kargas
Minnesota Archery Inc.

Do you shoot your bow with one eye closed?  If so, you may benefit from a little experimentation. 
   Shooting with both eyes open can give you distinct visual advantages when hunting, and ease anxiety and over-aiming when target shooting
   First, you must be certain you are right eye dominant (for a right handed shooter) or left eye dominant (for a left handed shooter).  Here?s how to find out:  With both eyes open, aim your finger at an object across the room.  Now close one eye, then the other.  Which ever eye still aligns you finger with the object is you dominant eye.
   If you are right eye dominant and shoot right handed (or left eye dominant-left handed) you will be able to try aiming and shooting with both eyes open.  It may feel a little uncomfortable at first, but give it a fair chance.  The advantages in hunting can include increased field of vision at a critical moment, better vision of your hit on the animal, reduced tendency to "peek" at the shot, and better vision in dimming light.
   Both eyes open may not be for everyone, but for some it can help add comfort and accuracy to the shot...And accuracy is what we as archers must continue to strive for!
If there are any questions feel free to call Matt of Barry Kargas at Minnesota Archery in Litchfield. (320) 693-2061.

Happy Hunting!
Matt and Barry
« Last Edit: September 09/12/07, 09:21:44 AM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i just started bow shooting this summer, and it'll be my first season this year...  I at first started shooting with one eye closed, but I have now been practicing with both open and I am now used to it.  I think it's a lot easier to shoot with both open and I think it has really help ed me a lot.  I am glad I developed the habit now.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i am left handed but shoot right handed,
right eye dominent. are there a lot of
bow hunters that shoot with the other hand?

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
I am left eye dominate, I shoot a rifle and shotgun left handed but I shoot by bow right handed. I find it easier to pull back my bow with my right hand and aim with my left. I found this to work well for me. I guess my right arm is the more dominate arm. Is any one else like this? I know it's all turned around, but it works.

Chad

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I am left eye dominate also.  When I was twelve I started shooting left handed (with a gun).  When I got a little older I started shooting with the right hand also.  I have always shot my bow right handed.  So, there is at least one other person like you BigBuckDown.  I think that makes us cool.  8)

Also, welcome to MNO!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I didn't find out till recently that Im left eye dominant but have been shooting right handed all my life.  I close my left eye when shooting.  I wonder how hard it would be to learn left handed shooting.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
I have tried shooting my buddies left handed bow and it just doesn't seem right. I feel clumsy and unorthodox. I guess the more you practice though the better it would feel. My left eye is by far more dominate, I also sometimes wonder if it would feel more compfortable if I practiced more from the left hand side to compliment my dominate eye. Maybe next year, it's a little late for this year. Seeing as how we only have 18 days until opener.

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Shooting with both eyes open can be tricky for a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant.  It seems that in most cases the left eye (dominant eye) can take over and you will find yourself missing the bale once in a while or being accurate at a limited distance.  But it has been known for a shooter to develop a certain level of eye dominance in the opposite eye.  Each person has a different level of eye dominance.  But I would say if you are a first time shooter....Stick with the dominant eye when picking between a right handed or left handed bow.  I have seen a faster growing rate of accuracy in shooters that do this.

But don't be afraid to try shooting left handed (If you are left eye dominant and shoot a right handed bow).  It may feel a little awkward at first, but it doesn't take long to build the stabilizing muscles that will make you a great shot.  You will catch on fast.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline birddogger

Great tip MNArch I had been experimenting shooting with both eyes open for a couple months now.  I seemed to shoot fairly well right away.  It is very helpful in low light situations as you mentioned.  That's when the big boys are out so hopefully I can put all this practice to use.