Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It worked for me!  (Read 5375 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While reading this, please remember I know it is not the ideal way to prepare and start bow hunting. It is however, how I started.
Last fall I won a muzzle loader and I wanted to try it this year. Because you cannot buy both rifle and a muzzle loader license, I opted for the all season license. A couple weeks ago I was up at the hunting land with my brother in law. He was bow hunting and I was duck/goose hunting. I borrowed his spare bow and shot two arrows at 10 yds, and two at 20 yds. Note: other than kids stuff, I have never before shot a bow. That evening I stood behind a clump of trees and watch a couple does feeding about 100 yards away.
Last Friday I got to the hunting land around 4 PM. By 5:00 I had a decoy positioned in a field 10 yds from my stand.
At 5:15 my brother in law pulls into the field (about 150 yards away) and proceeds to get stuck going up a hill. After 15 minutes of messing around he managed to get turned around and proceeds to start emptying his van. By this time I was standing waving a white shirt and he finally noticed me. (A slight hill between us blocked his view of my decoy). He hikes over to the stand climbs up and we have a 10 minute BS session. I told him to get my wheeler (parked about 1/3 mile away at the far end of the field) and pick me up after dark and we will haul his stuff to our camper. Off he goes while I watch him hike over the hill. To my surprise, he comes driving back at 6:00 and starts loading his stuff. Finally at 6:15 he heads off putting down the field. At 6:30 I see a doe fawn making her way along the edge of the trees towards my decoy. Because she went so slowly, I had time to settle down, get my (well somebody's) bow and get ready. When she hit the best shot clearing (about 12 yards away) I drew the bow. Just as I did, she turned and faced my direction but still looking at the decoy. I held the bow a full draw for a long as I could but finally had to let down. Just after I let down, she turned and gave me a broad side shot. I once again drew the bow and from what I remember, saw the pin in line with the deer but I don't think I was looking through the peep site. At any rate, I plunked an arrow into the muddy field and the deer jumped, ran a few hops, and then slowly walked away. About 10 minutes later without hesitation, she again approached the decoy. I drew on her, remembered some of the things I did wrong before and let another one fly. This time I heard the "whack" and she ran about 30 yards, wobbled a little a tipped over. And that is how I will remember my first ever bow kill.

I do not have any photos. Sorry, but if you imagine any doe fawn you ever saw, that would be the picture. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline outdoorfamilyof6

• Outdoorsman
  • My FIRST duck!!
thats awsome.  great job!  I am going out this next weekend and Im slightly worried that even with practice I will hurt and not kill the deer.  YOur confidence is inspiring!!
Harmony- WITO member

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job deadeye and thanks for sharing. By the way did i hear you say there was a new bow ordered for next year. lol

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Good job and now we know the name fits.   ;) 

I got a shot off at a doe last weekend but must have had doe fever  :whistling:  yeah.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Deadeye has a real nice bow now!  happy2.gif
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes indeed I do!  Thanks to "Big Slick" I have pretty much top of the line stuff.  I just got around to shooting the Diamond Liberty I bought from him.  I had basically no bow experience prior to getting this bow.  I had shot 6 arrows with a borrowed Switchback bow (4 at target and two at a deer.  Missed first shot but the deer returned and I got it).  Other than watching others shoot, I have never had any instructions.  With that said, I setup targets at 20 and 30 yards and began shooting from my deck.  After 4 shots, all low and to the right, I adjusted the sight and then put 4 close to dead on.  I was high at 30 yds and after a pin adjustment was pretty close.  Off and on during the afternoon I would shoot one or two just to see if things changed.  As of last night, I would be pretty confident of making a killing shot out to 30 yds.  Of course this doesn't take in effect the weather, light conditions, nerves, buck fever, tree limbs, heart rate, range estimating, and a host of other variables.   
I guess what I'm saying is that if anyone out there is not bow hunting simply because they think it takes years of practice to be able to shoot accurately, don't worry, just do it.  You may be surprised at what you can do.  I was.  Thanks Big Slick!
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Careful or you'll end up with lots of Robin Hoods.   ;)

Congrats, I know thats a nice bow.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
I kind of miss not having a bow.
Maybe I'll go get a cheapy model just to satisfy my itch.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye this post was made before the lessons learned rite. lol
you are rite in thinking the new bows are easier to learn then the sticks., but it still takes constant practice just to keep the mucels tuned so that every thing comes together without having to think about it.