Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The Rut and Decoys  (Read 7796 times)

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
I am going bow hunting this weekend also with Mon. Tues. and Wed off in WI where rifle season dosent start until the week of Thanksgiving. I have been reading some articles and most of them say that this is the seek and chase phase of the rut. I was thinking about using a decoy. I have never used a decoy before and was wondering if this is a good idea? And should I use a doe or buck decoy? I have been hesitant on using a decoy in the past. It's just one more thing to put sent into the air. But has anyone had luck with a decoy? I plan on sitting all day. I hunt private land that seems to have by far more does than bucks. Thanks for any input.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have never used a decoy....why? Beause my cousin stole mine ;D

Seriously though I don't know why I don't use one. Everyone that uses a decoy swears by them so what does that tell you.

I do have one and my cousin has been using it. This is the first year he has used it and already believes in it. Two nights ago he had the biggest bodied buck he has ever seen approach his decoy. Could of shot the deer buck he had a small rack.

Here is an article worth reading:

http://mnoutdoorsman.net/forums/index.php?page=37

If it were me I would use a doe decoy. It seems that a doe would get more attention from more deer. A great place for a decoy is a field. Most deer wait to enter until they feel comfortable. If they see a doe out there and not on alert they feel as if they are entering a comfort zone to an extent.

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
Thanks Mayfly. That article should point me in the right direction. Something that I never knew was that most shooting decoys are standing on alert. Which could spook the deer. But thats the only decoy that I have so hopefully that big buck is going to think that the decoy is standing on alert because of him. I am going to try it out this weekend and I will let you know how deer respond to it. If it's positive I would suggest going on a covert mission to recover your decoy.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I've never used one but read up on a few and seen them used in the videos.  They always say to spray the doe's rump with estrus as if she is "standing" for the buck.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
That sounds like it would be a good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
my decoy has removable horns (doe or buck).
the reason I bring this up is that if yours is the same way, you may not want to put the spray directly on the decoy.
say your decoy is set up as a doe and you use estrus spray, then next time you want to use the horns, now you have to try to de-scent the decoy. follow my drift?

maybe use a scented rag located near the decoy keeping the decoy scent free?
just a thought.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I've also been told not to put scent directly onto the decoy. Why? I am not sure.....

Offline BigBuckDown

• Outdoorsman
  • BBD
Thats a good point jiggles. Noted!

Offline Don Stenseth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos
Mayfly, Probably because walking out after dark with a scented up decoy could prove to be pretty dangerous if some lovesick Buck came along.
Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos

www.sitekreator.com/donstenseth

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Mayfly, Probably because walking out after dark with a scented up decoy could prove to be pretty dangerous if some lovesick Buck came along.

Hmm a new strategy.  Walk out early (still legal shooting) and if Romeo comes trailin along, set Juliet down and back away (arrow on string) to let them "talk."   :whistling:

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
where can I find out if it is legal to use decoys.
I have always thought it was legal, but now two of the guys in our group have said they thought iot was not legal. I still believe it is legal, but I would like to have something in writing to show them.

anybody?
I can't find it in the regs.

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
I am 99.9999% sure it's legal.  I can't find it in the regs anywhere where it says it isn't legal.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
that's where I'm at scott, but like I said....????
should I tell the officer, "my friend said he was 99.999% sure it was legal?"

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
In the state of Mn you can use decoys for deer hunting. Just as long as you do not have a remote to make them move or make sound.  ::dancinred::
« Last Edit: November 11/09/07, 11:26:42 AM by Pegg »
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I would think if it was illegal they would put it in the rule book.

It's kind of like the tags they have this year.  It says put the string through one of the holes, but there are two on the tag and it does not say only use one.  Was I wrong to put the string through both holes?  I think they try to make them things confusing on purpose.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I would think if it was illegal they would put it in the rule book.

It's kind of like the tags they have this year.  It says put the string through one of the holes, but there are two on the tag and it does not say only use one.  Was I wrong to put the string through both holes?  I think they try to make them things confusing on purpose.

I think one is the "Site Tag" and the other is the "registration tag."

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I have one of them cloth decoys and tried useing it well bow hunting. I had one youg buck that kept moving back and forth by it but never got close.The does would spot it on the feild and get lurie of it and stand back and stop their feet at it, when they got no response they would leave, never coming onto the field.I tried putting fethers on the  ears and tail to give it motion and that did no good.