Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anybody been to Winnie Lately?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline rtk343

• Outdoorsman
 :help:

Heading up to Winnie over President's Day weekend with 7 other guys. We fish portables. Wondering what the ice conditions are, where pressure ridges are and hows the Perch bite? I know they are catching Walleyes right before dusk but haven't heard anythig about Perch.

Thanks! :mysterymachine:
« Last Edit: February 02/06/08, 02:49:05 PM by rtk343 »
I'd rather be sittin' on the ice.

Offline bearman34

Haven't heard about the perch on winnie, but if you get to blackduck(blackduck lake is 1/2 mile west of town), the perch bite is good morning and late afternoon. I like to go just to the west side of the island in 19 or 20 feet of water. The other day we got set up about 3:30 they started biting shortly after and quit about 5:30, but we had are limit by 5:15. Most are 10"- 12", but you do catch a few smaller ones. We usually use a fathead on one line and minnow head or waxworm on the other with the vex. Hope that helps you out. ;D

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Here is the latest report from one of our Field staff on Winnie.

Gus' Place Resort 888-246-8520 

(2-10-08) www.gusplaceresort.com
Late Saturday afternoon a stranger wandered into the resort looking for help, he was stuck! He had high centered his pick-up while trying to cross one of the plowed roads out on the lake. At the time was pretty comfortable right in my warm living room watching the tube. At that moment last thing I wanted to do was to suit up and go out there.
I remembered the time I was in Wyoming, fishing Glendo Res., alone and became hoplessly stuck trying to launch that 20ft. Lund in a place that I should have not.
If it hadn't been for a couple of strangers, a couple of Cowboys, who wandered along, my fishing trip would have been a complete disaster. After getting out of my jam in Wyoming, I remember how truely greatful I was to those 2 cowboys for pulling me out.
So what could I do with the stranger who had just wandered into my camp? I chained up the F250, grabbed the tow strap and a couple of shovels and we headed out. Once I got down to the lake I reminded my self why I had not been fishing much that day.
The ground blizzard on the lake was as bad as you want to experience, a complete white-out, the temp was already 10 below, all exposed skin burned and went numb in minutes. The truck we were trying to recover was only suppose to be about 200 yards out, but there was no sign of it. I thought for a moment that perhaps I should go back to the lodge and grab a handheld GPS. I decided to rely on my trucks built-in compass instead.
We set out in the general direction. After about 10 minutes we saw the other truck and adjusted our course. The wind had formed some substantual drifts around the truck making the approach and hook-up difficult without getting stuck myself. I was able to yank the other truck off of the snow ridge enough for it to regain traction and we headed back to the lodge.
Yes; there were a few fish caught over the weekend, we managed to pick through the small ones to get at a meal, but the weather kept most of us hunkered down unable to move much and go after them.
Each winter Mother Nature gives us a handful of weekends you might be best at home by the fireplace sorting out that old forgotten tackle box and thinking about next May.
Next weekend will be different, SEE YOU OUT THERE!
Gus, c/o Gus' Place Resort
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline rtk343

• Outdoorsman
That Helps a lot! Thanks. Haven't been hearing good things about the perch bite and the info you gave was nice to hear. We may try it.

:bow:

Randy
I'd rather be sittin' on the ice.