Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: pistol shooting questions  (Read 2755 times)

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
I am new to Pistol shooting and wonder if anyone has any good wesites or reading material they recommend for a begginer.  I want to ask questions like do I keep my arm straight when shooting a .22 and any other tips and tricks for sucessful shooting techniques for the range.  Thanks

Offline snmann

• Outdoorsman
The best thing you can do is "go to school".  Bill's Gun shop offers classes from beginning handgunning to advanced tactical.

http://www.billsgs.com/

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I will agree with snmann, at least  look into differnent gun clubs to see if anyone would be willing to help you get started and then join that one. One peace of advice I will give is, if your gun will handle shooting the cheap ammo use it to get started. Handguning takes a lot a prctice to become fairly good and a hole lot more to be realy good.

Offline Cbxboy

• Outdoorsman
I give you huge Kudos for "asking".  many people do not.  I am not an expert but would qualify as experienced enough for most.

The biggest thing is to contantly be conscious of the EASE of an error with a pistol.  In my humble opinion it is easier to screw up with a pistol and cause harm than a rifle.  On to the good stuff.....

YOU bet start with a nice .22 plinker.  I prefer the 525 pack of Remingtons from Fleet Farm for good cheap fodder.  There are classes and although I have never taken them I know Sue at Burnsville Pistol Range could put on a nice class as well as Bills.  I like the "laid back" atmosphere at BVPR...I never went back to Bill's from my first experience. (maybe I should give it another try-its been 1o years)

Ok, my opinion is to buy a cheap $350 gun and 3000 rounds of ammo instead of a $900 and 3 boxes of ammo.  Shoot em all up and tell me which your more comfortable with.  One will make you a shooter one will make you look rich.  Sorry this went past the .22-- this would apply for a 9mm.  Many wholesalers have some SUPER SUPER values on used 9mm's in December.

I have self taught most of my shooting.....I do not recall any websites off the top of my head, I have range time watching others and ASKING "whatcha doin?" when I noticed something interesting.  Learn each and every part of your pistol on every one you own as well.  Very important.

There is so much to write........ Have fun.

Tim

P.S.  I shoot right arm pretty much straight/stiff and left hand supporting.  With a .22 I don't care how you shoot...with a stout caliber you will want to shoot stiff armed.  Also please remember that if you have a Semi auto and bend your arm you may "limp wrist" your shot and absorb the recoil in your arm and not let the slide cycle as it should.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
I agree go to bills and when you are there shoot a full auto if they still have them.
If you are looking for someone to teach you some good techniques, I know a guy that goes to bills all the time to shoot. He a sergeant on the Lino PD and is there firearms guy to or one of them. He also has a ton of different pistols that he may let you shoot to.  PM if you want his info…..

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Well if your up in the Northern suburbs, or willing to travel to East Bethel I could lend you a hand to get you started.

After the holidays I can meet you up at Beaverbrook gun club on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I am not an expert with a handgun, but I do shoot often and can show you how to properly hold and shoot one.

If your too far away I would also recamend a shooting class, or a local gun club to find help.

As far as the very basics, don't try to look like the gangsters on the TV and hold the gun side ways or try to rap off rounds as fast as you can untill you get to know the weapon better.

To start out, stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
Turn your upper body to your left just slightly, now grasp the pistol with your right hand so that the pistol is in a straight line right from the barrel up to your shoulder.

Then bend your elbow to a very slight  angle, then cup your left hand under your right side palm so that your thumbs almost touch.
This is to suport the gun hand for better control.

If you have a wheel gun (6 shooter) do not get your fingers in front of the cylinder or they will get burned.

On a slide (semi auto) keep them away from the slide and rear hammer.

Now you have the basic stand for supported off hand shooting, there are a few other ways to hold you weapon as well but this one is the text book stance.

Also remember to use the tip of your triger finger and not the inside of your knuckle.

You have better feel and won't turn the weapon to one side as you pull the trigger this way.

Then just squeeze off a round and see how it feels for you.

If your a lefty just turn to your right and follow the above post using your left hand as your gun hand.

My email is benstackle  at  netzero dot net if you want to meet up at the gun club after the holidays.

Benny

« Last Edit: December 12/18/07, 11:53:24 PM by Benny »
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
Wow, this is all awesome information!  I really appreciate it.  I went to Bill's last Friday and threw 200 rounds on my .22 S&W.  For the most part, I've been doing okay.  I have spent the last few ties getting use to the entire routie of shooting at a range.  Bill's can be intimidating as it seems that everyone there is a complete Gun Expert....I bet they can tell I am a rookie a mile a way!  Doesn't matter to me, because I had so much fun.

thanks so much for the advice....I am looking to buy a 9mm S&W...they are on sale at Gander for $249!  I just hope my wife doesn't find out :oops1:

Have a great Holiday Season...going fishing tomorrow on Coon Lake! 

Offline Cbxboy

• Outdoorsman
Sounds lke your doing great.  I think the addition of the 9mm is a GREAT next step.  That is one of my favorites as its tame enough for plinking and an acceptable carry piece.  S&W on sale for $249?  Dang I might need to go to town today :help:  I know the wholesalers were dumping these for a VERY good deal...didn't know Gnader was quite so affordable...no shipping is a real advantage.

My trip to Bill's mirrored your sentiment.  Everyone seemed lke a "know it all" (like me now!!!) and I just didn't feel comfortable. I was looking around at $750 .45's and feeling the "smirk" of the New guy with the Cheap gang banger gun.  10 years later I still don't own a pistol worth $750 and my targets look fantastic!

The first thing I left out in pistol shooting is to realize a pistol was INTENDED for a short range weapon.  This means AFTER the rifle has been emptied or combat has become very close.  Short means 20 yds at a maximum in my opinion.  PLEASE e sure you do not crank your target to the other end of the range and start blasing away......not with a $249 S&W.  My first big realization was that I had very unrealistic expectations of what was "possible" to shoot at 40 yds with a pistol.  Keep it simple and start shooting Quantity and you will be able to move the taret back soon enough.

I would also suggest a nice used Sig 226 in 9mm. You can get cop trade ins for a decent price.  $359 and up....I LOVE my Sig and actually have taken numerous grouse with it while walking the trails up North.  (yes I have witnesses :police:)  Almost guaranteed operation and tremendously easy to get parts or service.  Almost anyone an do it.

Better run, keep up the practice and have fun....safely.  OH, at the range the only thing I ever give attention to is that you point the end the bullet comes out of the right direction!!
I had a "newer person" holding their pistol-finger in the trigger guard--sweeping the whole damn shooting lane asking why it didn't go off :help:  There were about 4 of us from GunBoards shooting that day and we almost had to tackle this moron.  Just be cautios of where the muzzle points at all times and people will be ok with you, if not tell them where to "shove it left sideways"

Tim

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
My advise is to shoot with both hands first tell you get used to the trigger pull and used to the gun. I like to stand with my feet shoulder width apart with arms fully extended. If your right handed hold out your left hand slightly cupped facing upward. Now lay your right hand with the gun in the cup of the left hand. Slightly bend at the knees. I shoot with both eyes open. Sometimes when I'm speed shooting I will have my left foot slightly forward. Remember safty comes first and don't forget your hearing protection.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away