Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cold Mississippi Report - Bass & Walleye - 10/22  (Read 3494 times)

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
The #1 goal we stated was to NOT FALL IN and get wet, and we accomplished that and we even accomplished my #2 goal and that was to have Alex at least catch one fish.

With layers of clothes on that resembled a trip to the ice houses in January, Alex and I headed out for a early morning trip to the Ol' Mississippi. Seven Thirty and Alex is at the house right on time, what exactly we were going OPEN WATER fishing (in a CANOE) in 28 degree weather I don't know, but we were going to give it a shot.

I figured we would try to toss a couple smallies in the canoe before heading to deeper water for walleye, but that plan didn't work out to well. I got one smallie barely bigger then my tube and that was it, so we were ready to move up river to some of my spots that have produced the best this summer.

Forgetting that they opened the Coon Rapids dam made our attempt to head up river to the spots FAIL miserably. That current was really flowing and the convinced me to put dual trolling motors on the back of the canoe next year. 

We had found some deeper water on our slow trip up river so we thought we would anchor just outside that and drown some minnows looking for some walleyes. A short time later I had a fish, not a walleye like I had hoped but a 17" smallie. A short time later Alex finally hooked into a fish another nice ~17" smallie. A few more minutes (and the ability to not feel our fingers) we decided to move. A few more of my usual spots gave up nothing so we tried to head up the Crow, and that was still too shallow.

We found some nice deep water (11') so we decided to give that a shot for the last few minutes while some duck hunters packed up their gear. A few bites on minnows and finally I got a hook up. A nice 15 1/2" walleye that I released to be caught another day.

We decided to call it quits after about 5 hours in the cold. The guy at the landing just putting in his boat and the two kids out in another boat said it has been slow the past week, but the week before was the hot week. I told him it was my first year on the river, and he sure had it right when he aid, "You will be back." That's for sure I WILL BE BACK!!!

Offline RiverRat

Hello, I am new to the part of the river that you where triin to get to. I live on the part of the Mississippi that most consider the best smallie fishin in the country. I love to eat em. I was catching my daily meals 1 fish per day. The main reason I bought on the river was to catch my favorite fish Smallie and Cat. The smallies are consistantly 23"-25". 1 fish feeds 3 people. I do not know the weight size and did not know that I was eating record fish until my neighbor asked where in the heck did i get that one? Then he told me 13" is a wall hanger... Is this True? that is my question to you all rabid fisher guys. Oh ya and to those that think that my stories are "Fish Tales" I have pictures to back it up! Thanks so how do I register a record, and should I not eat these tasty critters and keep to eating the Cats? RiverRat

Offline bemidjiman

• Outdoorsman
A 13inch smallie is by no means a wall hanger ;D

I would say that smallies over 21inches are entering wall hanger territory.

Now you say you are catching 23 - 25 inch smallmouth on a consistent basis. Yes I will go ahead and call that a fish tale. If you have the pics lets see them then.  Thanks ;)

Offline RiverRat

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
You can e-mail them to me and I can post them for you riverrat.

My email is in my profile....   http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=4

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Ummm.. NO dont eat the smallies....they have regs on em on the river...soon there will be catch and release only on streches of the Miss because people are killing the big uns, even though 99% of the people let em go... you and that 1% will ruin that fishery for everyone... a 21" smallie is probably 10plus yrs or older, think of all the eggs that aren't gonna be laid when ya kill just one fish, let alone more.... and the big old ones dont taste as good anyway.... if ya have to eat em eat the small ones......but to each his own I guess....I just cant wait for the regs to tighten up! (and I aint a guy thats normally big on regs!)        -thunderpout :banghead:

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Are you sure they are Smallies? Maybe they are Sheephead or Carp.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Loren Waalkens

• Outdoorsman
Thunderpout, my thoughts exactly, Thank you......

Loren Waalkens