Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Zero Turn Lawn Mower?  (Read 5925 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
My lawn mower took a dirt nap the other day.  Actually just the deck.  Can't get new parts for it anymore so I'm just going to use the tractor to pull the cart around.  I have 300 trees I mow around so I'm going to get a used commercial ZTR mower.  I have been looking at a Toro Zmaster.  Any thoughts?  I want something that will last.  And I'm also sorry fellas but I'm not interested in that Green Color.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
How big of a yard do you have ?
and
How far apart are the trees ?

i work on a golf course and run a zero turn 6-10 hours a day ..
« Last Edit: September 09/13/07, 01:21:48 PM by iceman »
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
2 acres and 8 ft between the evergreens which is almost all the trees and 4 ft between 1 row of crabapples.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
Well  we will see if i can enlighten you then

over the last few years i have demoed  out
Toro
John Deer
and Lastec...

the John Deer seamed to scalp and lot so if you have  a rough lawn i would stay away from it
where the Toro is more of a floating deck it may not scalp as bad..

and last but not least
Lastec
it does not scalp it comes with a wide range of decks ...
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Steelman (here on MNO) has a Cub Cadet ZTR, it's not the commercial unit-you may have to pm him for more info. on it.  He has somewhere near and acre to mow-around trees and such-and he loves it.  Sometimes when chosing between a residental or commercial mower-there is very little difference between the two (price, colors, stickers), and in some cases it may mean a few HP more in a commerical motor. 

Toro mowers are made right here in Minnesota-Windom to be exact.  Not all models-but alot of the Toro & Lawnboy products are made there.  And in case you're wondering-the difference between a lawn tractor and garden tractor typically is the garden tractor has a full frame under it vs a stamped out "unibody". 

*There are always acceptions to the above statements-it's just a generalization.  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline barebackjack

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Exmark is a bit more on the spendy side but a good used one would suit your purpose, a wide range of decks and as a commercial mower they were above all. the Toro was a good machine also, the one thing you will find is the motors on most of the upper brands are going to be equivalent and in most cases the same brands and relatively economical to replace or rebuild, a great option when you spend as much money as you do on these units. The one thing I can not reiterate to you enough is to take care of these motors and machines and they will last you alot longer than if you blow it off. Good luck
IBOT #197 Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy ~jigglestick

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks BBJ-I couldn't remember that brand-Exmark!  The "neighbors" have an Exmark, they must mow about 4-5 acres with it each time.  They also mow the cemetary, and other areas too.  It cuts the tall, thick & sometimes wet grass with no effort whatsoever!  I wish I had the clams to buy one for myself!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
check these out, they are the original zero turn makers and I believe the best
www.hustlerturf.com
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I did see something on Hustler but their are no dealers close to me so if I need parts it's a long drive.  Here's the machine with 3000 hours I'm trying to replace.  A bearing went out and recked the spindle.  But it is time.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Simplicity make a very good ZTR Mower. I had my lawn mowed with a couple of them and didn't scalp at all until they got to the old pocket gopher section. Fast moving while mowing too.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline String Twister

• Minnow
I highly recommend Hustler.
Acts 16:31 Believe on the LORD Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and your house.