Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Treading lightly on some Metro Ice  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • N St Paul, MN . . . via . . . Big Sky Country
Fri Nov 21
Went with to crew from Wilcraft to a pond just NorthEast of the metro.  We had arranged to meet the local fire department so they could try the Wilcraft while practicing Ice Rescue.  That pond had just under 3 inches of ice.

Sat Nov 22
Took my 7 yr old son out on Otter.  Just over 3 inches of ice.  I would have walked out on it, but wouldn't have let my 7 yr old walk out with me.  However I was quite comfortable with him out there in the Wilcraft.

Sun Nov 23
Gonna try to get out on Otter  with my 11 yr old son.
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
very nice, keep up with the reports.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Des, how does using the wilcraft affect early ice as far as safety and breaking the ice up. Is this not a factor or is it light enough not to tear the ice up and leaving hazardous spots for others? Please don't get me wrong, I love the wilcraft and think its one of the coolest machines I've ever been in, but I'm just curious on the safety aspect of using it this early in the ice season.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline fishwiz4

• Outdoorsman
i must be out of the loop, but i had never hear of a wilcraft untill now.  i think its awesome.  how much does the base model cost?

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here's my 11 yr old out on Otter today

driving out    &   drilling holes

fishing
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Fishwiz
Are you going to the St Paul Ice Fishing Show?
If so, look for WILCRAFT; we'll be there.

Or you can see quite a bit at www.thewilcraft.com

Price range is comparable to a Polaris Ranger
« Last Edit: November 11/23/08, 05:40:09 PM by Desperado »
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey Pat, thanks for asking.  I'm happy to discuss your question.

The Wilcraft weighs about twice as much as me.  But with the amount of tire surface on the ice, it actually puts less pounds per square inch on the ice than what my boots do when I'm walking.

The thing that I am careful about on thin ice is I GO SLOW.  (the wilcraft has two forward gears and will go 20 mph) I never shifted out of first gear and never got more than half throttle this weekend.  Of course driving too fast will cause the wave under the ice problem, but then so does someone in a pickup truck doing 50 mph on 10 inches of ice.
I also slowed way down as I approached the shore so as not to get that wave action busting up ice at the bottom of the boat ramp.

As long as the driver drives right for the conditions, he shouldn't be busting or weakening the ice.
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328