Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The passing of a legend  (Read 2197 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of you may not have known him but Marvin "Bud" Hall  of IA had passed earlier this yr.

I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman back in the late 80's or early 90's. I went to see him for trapping lessons, particularly mink. I can't even start to say how much more simple he made it. I picked him for lessons as he had the experience I was looking for. With over 10,000 fox, 6000 mink, thousands of beaver and other critters under his belt, the decision was easy. That was nearly 20 yrs ago, I have no idea what he'd taken after that.

I will tell you the man was a class act, not only as a trapper but a person as well. I kept in touch with him to talk trappin every once in awhile and would like to pass on some of his thoughts as passed on by his daughter.

Thoughts From A Free Spirit, Life is not worth living unless it is enjoyed. If one can leap out of bed in the morning, can't wait to start the day's work and singing to oneself, that's what I'm talking about. Of course being a "free spirit" or, in other words being in charge of your own destiny,free of time clocks, usually means working longer hours than one would ever do for a company. Life is not going to change for oneself unless one chooses to change it. Happiness in one's chosen work and lifestyle is the key to success. If one loves what they do, it will go a long way towards a rich, heartfelt satisfying journey through life. Lots of money to me is not as important as doing what one's spirit desires. written by Bud Hall

Hello, I'm a daughter of Bud's, Sandy, and I would like to thank you for all the wonderful messages about Dad.We aren't sure when he wrote the "Free Spirit", but that about says it all. He last trapped in the winter of 2007. Of course, he never did want anyone to know of his catch but he managed to trap sixty mink,even while being sick. He would tell us, " I can be sick and lay in bed, or I can be sick and go trapping". Guess you know what he did.

I am going to miss our little trappin chats even though I had to hollar as he "can't hear the phone that good"
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson