Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: whats your choice of rifle  (Read 4379 times)

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
open plains up to 500 yards (edge of the woods)?
In the woods max shot 150 yard in your shooting lane?
If you had to use the same gun for both what would you use?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
why would you risk a shot at 500 yards?? most hunters can even hit an animal at 25 let a lone 500

id use my T/C pro hunter 7mm rem mag

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
hmm 500 yards i dont think i could pull the trigger but i would have to say my winchester 30-06

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline 3willy

• Outdoorsman
  • work fasinates me I love to watch it be done
30.06 is probobly the most versitile and has the widest range of factory loads and second choice would be .308

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
500 yards? Nope, not me...............

I use a 270 for an all around gun, 75-300

If I hunt in a heavy wooded area, the 30-30 works just fine.

But, I like using my 357 Colt Python, nothing over 50 yards.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wont shoot 500 yards.
I basically use my 30-06 for everything.
Also carry my 357 revolver for close shots.
Other rifles of choice is either lever action 308 or lever action 30-30.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use a .270 because I have a couple of them.  We have trees, fields, and open swamps so I carry the .270 becaues one minute you may have a 20 yard shot and the next may be 200 yards.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
500 that's a long poke being over a 1/4 mile. First off anyone that can say they will make that shot 90% of the time prolly sleeps with their gun. I would never take that shot unless predator hunting. Then only if I knew the exact distance from range finder or whatever.

Just for the sake of being hypothetical I'm assuming your talking bout deer hunting so I would say a 270. Reason is they are just a necked down 30-06. Shooting smaller bullets alot faster (flatter trajectory) but yet with enough weight to do the job.

If your actually serious about it and don't mind replacing a barrel every 200 rounds or less maybe a 243 catbird. Just another necked down 30-06 but guys who use them claim good results even though admitting cost is what makes them impractical.

As a side note if not in MN I'd go with my 220. Gotta know your gun.
« Last Edit: March 03/11/08, 12:00:43 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I take it this is more about what cal. we feel would do a good job at 500 yards. In non mag. the 06-, 270, 308, 280 would all be good choices. In the mags. any of them that had a big enough slug to carry the need energy out that fare. Out to a 150 yards with good solid rest i would not worry a bit about using my 7x30 waters tc.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Like most of you, I'd never take the 500-yard shot.  I hunt with a .270 and also 7mm, got the wife a new .243 WSSM, great balistics on that by the way, beats my .270 up to 150-yards or so with a bit less energy.   :toast:
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Forgive me if Im wrong but I get the feeling it was a hypothetical question so we could even say a rifle range with a 50 and 500 yard range. 

Either way, my choice would be the 30.06.  For the shorter range shots, you can go with the new light loads with bullets as light as 100 grains.  For the longer range shots, there are loads up to 150 grains.

If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline RavenDog

• Outdoorsman
1-400 yds i'd use my Tikka T3 Hunter Pro  7mm Mag, with homemade 105 gr bullets.

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
At deer-sized game?

The target here is critical - as others have mentioned a 500 yard shot is one heck of a poke, and most guys just can't pull it off.  If its a deer, and I'm driving the bus, I don't have a gun in the arsenal I'd be comfortable making the long shot with.  400?  Yep, I'd do that - and in repetition in case anyone missed the first or second or third shot.  But 500 is stretching the capabilities of any popular cartridge, and without plenty of homework is a foolish choice.

My first choice for longer shots is the 30-06.  Its a known performer at long range for decades.  I've shot the Garand at 800 meters putting lead into the black consistently - but that was known windage, known distance, and a spotter.  Under field conditions, I would dial back considerably.....

If I'm looking for a field gun for deer that has repeatable accuracy at 150 to 500, I'd probably opt for either a 25-06 or one of the 25 short mags, with a custom barrel, a thoroughly worked-over trigger, and the best glass I could afford.  Ammo would be tailored specifically for the gun, utilizing my two friends who have all of the computer programs, chronographs and other neat reloading toys.

I shot a Weatherby .300 Mag many years ago that could probably have handled what you're asking about.   Exactly 5 rounds dialing that thing in, and I never wanted to get near it again!!  It shot like a freaking laser beam, but the pain was not worth the effort.  After helping the guy sight it in, I know for a fact that I probably would have flinched at the worst possible time.