Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The count down begins  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yesterday I started prepping for the first Basswood trip of the year :).? Blast-off is Friday at noon.? It'll be a short week - busy at work and scrambling to get both boats, trailers, motors, etc. along with other essential gear up and ready to roll.?

I pulled the 40 off the 18' today and tossed on the ol'25 Merc for the BW.? I sure wish I could take the 40 instead!? I am going to take her out on the lake in the morning and fill a few coolers with water to see how she will push the load.? I am thinking, and hoping, it will do er no problem.? I got a 6 hp kicker on there too, so if the 25 is gunting I'll drop the 6 in for a little extra umpf. ::)

I have a couple of buddy's who are up there right now.? The lucky sunsabiaches are both retired and were able to go in on Wednesday of last week.? I think they are coming out on Tuesday so I will get the report from them then and post it for all to enjoy.? They sure have had some fab weather!? They had a mellow wind the first day and it stayed dry too.?

A mellow wind is REALLY important on that first day.? It really sucks bucking a hard west wind for about 8 - 9 straight miles down the lake when you got 2 people, a dog, 18-24 gallons of gas, umpteen coolers and all the rest of the stuff you need for a classic Dr. Bob wilderness camping experience 8).? I am talking some serious cargo here!? Not only is it a long rough ride, it also gets yer stuff soaked it you don't have it packed really well.?

Holy Chit, I can hardly wait!
« Last Edit: June 06/04/06, 01:17:48 AM by Dr.Bob »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
It's gunna be hard to focus on the job this week when your suffering from Basswood fever old buddy. ;) With all the camping and fishing gear your hauling, folks will think you?re an outfitter setting up a camp for a group of clients.

I can smell those walleyes frying up at your camp right now. ;D Say hello to Missy, Mindy, and Jeff for me when you cross the portage. Got to hand it to ya Doc, you sure don't waste any of your free time hanging around the old homestead.

Only 26 more days for me and I'll be back up to Basswood once again. This year they are going to have air conditioning in the cabin. I don't know if that's a good thing or not since I don't want to get out of condition for the outdoors. Anyhow it will sure feel good at days end when I plop down on the couch and pop a cold one.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got to hand it to ya Doc, you sure don't waste any of your free time hanging around the old homestead.

Maybe that's why I'm a bachelor again ;D.

If I ever find myself unemployed, I prolly will take up guiding up there.? It would sure beat the h*ll out of what I'm doing now and I think I might be okay at it too.

We'll have to try to get together this year when you are back up in Gods Country.

Offline Xplorer

• Outdoorsman
Washington Island area eye's look out, the Doctor is in the house ;D ;D
You and jake take it easy and have a great time, and i will wait to hear how he out-fished ya again on your return ;)
May your stringers be full and the winds at your back, have a great trip!!
 Xplorer

PS: sending you an email, gotta question about Hillmans up on Red.

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks Chris, give me a call.? I got an idea ;).

We'll I took the 18/25 out last night with my sister(not little), 2 dogs, 2 big anchors, a deep cycle battery, a full tank of gas, the 6hp on the back, and we filled two 70 qt coolers with water for balast.? She passed the test!? It climed out of the whole no problem and in a short time was up to 17 mph.? It will handle a load no problem ;D.

I am a happy camper!

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well Bud, if you're fishing the reef out in front of the "Lodge" and hook into a 30 incher with a nice G Loomis rod attached to it, you know who you can thank.? Have a great trip.? I'm jealous as hell.

Camping at the "Lodge" Dr. Bob style

My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It has been a crazy week and I have not had much time for the forum.?

Now it is only hours til blastoff ;D.

Same sh*t, different trip!? I am not ready of course and have to go home and do a bunch of crap b4 we can leave.?

I spoke to the boys a couple of days ago and they said they did fair, but fishing was kinda slow.? The first Walter in the boat was 6 lbs. though.? That's Basswood and that's a large part of why I love it so!

Tonight it will be roaring campfire and ice cold Miller Light followed by BBQ'ed Ribs, fresh green beans and a baked potato.? Life don't get any better than that.?

And who knows, tomorrow maybe even a few fish ;D.

Later guys.

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well, we survived ;D.

As usuall, it took me a couple of days to catch my breath after we got home.? I think I am almost there.

We got a really late start on Friday and did not even leave the landing on Moose Lake until 7 o'clock.? Thank god we made the portage in time and were on Washington Island, had the boats unloaded and had the tents set up and a little fire wood gathered before it was totally dark.? It was cutting it close, but we made it ;D.

The weather was as nice as you could ask for.? It was warm yet dry air and was very comfortable.? It got down right chilly at night and I was glad we had the warm sleeping bags with.? It was GREAT sleeping!?

Fishing was slow, but that was no big deal to us.? It started out nice but went down hill from there.? The first fish was a very plump 19" walleye.? After that they were all nice eaters in the 13" to 15" range.? We also caught one big white fish and a few small slimmers.? Jake was happy to have a boat of his own to use and spent a lot of time in the bay right next to camp catching tons of bass.

For the most part we hung out burning fire wood, resting and eating.? We took one day to do a little sight-seeing and lake touring.? I took the family back up the lake to see the 1000 year old cedar tree and then we found a sandy beach to clean up at and have a little BBQ with burgers and beers for the guide ;D.

It only rained once and that was before we got out of bed on our last morning there.? ?The worst part was the darn mosquito's!? I have never used that much bug dope on one trip in my entire camping career!

The highlights of the trip were the Luna Moth that decided to join us and the two red squirrels who though our campsite was romantic enough for them to work on having little squirrels right there in front of us :o.? That was kinda funny to say the least!

The moon was full and was just beautiful to see out over the lake above our camp fire.?

I will post a couple of pics after I get them downloaded.

Only 22 days until we return!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Glad to see that all went well on your trip. The full moon must have been a special treat and I can just imagine it reflecting off the water. Where do you plan on camping in July? I'll have to stop off and check out your camp with my bride.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Bob - Sounds like a great trip.? Thanks for the report.? ?Good food, nice weather and some fish to top it all off.? A long weekend? in the woods with the kids and your Sis is whats it's all about.

Nothing like sitting in camp, looking at a full moon, then snuggeling into a comfortable sleeping bag for a cool sleep.? Sucks to sweat? in a tent.

I know what them skeeters are like and it's the only thing that had to suck.? All I can say is DEET rocks when it comes to that.
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Xplorer

• Outdoorsman
Bob,
 Sounds like a plenty fine trip to me, glad you had a blast and anytime you can have that kind of weather its a real treat.?
? Talk to you soon, getting close to making a few plans for next month. I'm off for a week to the Black Hills, I'll get ahold of you and Harold after my 4th of July trip to Nam, and we'll "gitter done" ;D
Xplorer

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sounds good Chris.  Have a great time out in the Black Hills.  I personally havent been there since 1980.  Its a cool area.

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I hope your trip to the Black Hills was a BLAST Chris!  I have to go there one of these days too.

No long now till our Nam adventure.  I have one more Basswood run and an IBOT Fest between now and then and I know the time will just fly between now and then.  I can hardly wait!

Here are a few photos of our latest trip:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Great pics Doc. Looks like a place I could spend a week.

I sure wish I could take the 40 instead!

Doc just switch the covers. ;) :laugh:
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks Joe.

Ya, its awesome up there!?

Do ya think they'll notice that black Merc cover duck-taped to the top of that Mariner 40?

;D