Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote Hunting Questions.  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have thought about trying out coyoe hunting and was wondering a couple of things.
What caliber rifle to use?
Do I need a call and what kind is recomended?
What is the average shot distance?
Do you use a blind of anykind?
What do you do with the skins?
When skinning do you leave anything attached such as legs or head?
These may seem like stupid questions to you seasoned hunters but I am new to this and want to do my research before trying it and find out I am doing it all wrong wasting time and money.
Thanks
Faceman
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
faceman i will give you some advice stuff that has worked for me. im not a big yote hunter i like to trap them.

gun i would say a .223 or any rifle with a smaller grain bullet

calls i would use mouth they seam to work better but if not  there are some realy good electronic ones like the foxpros

blinds i would just brush your self in good, remember SCENT control or play the wind

skins if you do not know how to skin them i would sell them whole in the carcus. plus they stink somethin fears. i would say you would have better luck selling them to your local taxidermist over fur buyer due to the fur buyer will dock you on the bullet hole and the taxi will sew it up....

it like most anything try differnt things you will find some work and some do not............. Peace SS

« Last Edit: March 03/04/08, 09:21:28 PM by Pat Turnquist »

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
For a gun I would say any of the centerfire 22 cals would work. I use a 220 swift but I handload. Shells for those if I were to buy them are nearly a buck and a half a piece. I know guys that prefer a 243 but if you don't use the right ammo you can make a mess of the hide. You can use a 17 cal also but if you will be buying a gun just for this get a 223. Ammo is readily available and is rather inexpensive. Another gun that I'll use is the good ol scatter gun with #4 buckshot. I use a 10 ga. but a 3" 12 will work also. It depends on the terrain you will be hunting. In thick brush I opt with the 10ga. Sometimes I'll bring both guns with the rifle proped up on the sticks ready for a longer shot. It all depends on the terrain.

Calls the cheapest way would be with a mouth blown. Some are better than others but for the beginner get one that doesn't need to be retuned. Unless you know what it's supposed to sound like to begin with. My opinion is that isn't really important any way, the idea is to make them think a free meal is waiting. This is with the distress calls. I believe it's more important if you are useing yote howls and barks. A person can use nothing but their lips and make squeeks and squalls to imitate most any rodent distress. The biggest problem with that is the lack of volume. An electronic call can be a bit spendy but is more user friendly for the beginner. Another benefit is now with the digital age alot of these different sounds can be downloaded for free. A bunch of guys are also building their own electronic callers for real cheap.

Blinds I would say no unless you put them out there before hand. You'll have enough stuff to carry the way it is. As SS said scent control. If you place your blind out b4 hand the wind can change and it'll all be wrong.

faceman i will give you some advice stuff that has worked for me. im not a big yote hunter i like to trap them.

gun i would say a .223 or any rifle with a smaller grain bullet

calls i would use mouth they seam to work better but if not  there are some realy good electronic ones like the foxpros

blinds i would just brush your self in good, remember SCENT control or play the wind

skins if you do not know how to skin them i would sell them whole in the carcus. plus they stink somethin fears. i would say you would have better luck selling them to your local taxidermist over fur buyer due to the fur buyer will dock you on the bullet hole and the taxi will sew it up....

it like most anything try differnt things you will find some work and some do not............. Peace SS

Anyone that say they stink if you skin them needs to skin a few more skunks. It really isn't any worse than guttin your deer. If you plan on selling them to a taxi check with them first. They prolly would just as soon do it themselves. Selling to a fur buyer you don't need the paws left on but skin the head out all the way, nose and all.

Get into it it's a blast and with allthings a learning experience in progress.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Here this is some pretty good info. Gets into more detail on some stuff.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=9129.msg62622#msg62622
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks Griz. It sounds like fun.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey Griz I appreciate the tip on the call but I dont think I am ready to invest quite yet. I want to research some more and then see where to hunt, laws, etc. But I really appreciate all the help I got and ideas.

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Iam going to start do U all think a .06 is to big and the other end 22 rimfire to small and of corse 12ga
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I, myself, would not use a .06 for yotes.
And yes, a .22 rimfire is a little on the lite side, a 12 gauge is good for the close shots.

I use a .223

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
thats what I thought going to store and get some camo paint for my hunting 12 ga got a pair 1300,1200 win 1 in wood other syn.
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!