Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Going to be.....  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I'm thinking that is going to be an even better year this year! The only rough wetaher we have had was the big ice storm in December. After that things have been pretty easy going. The nesting period is about done and the past month has been fair as well with not too much rain. The chicks should be on the ground now if not within the week.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
For those of you that aren't sure of the pheasant spring schedule it goes like this.....

Beginning in April Pheasants begin to mate......

May is when the hen lays her first nest and egg incubation usually takes 23 days.......

So starting right around today June 6th is when the eggs should be hatching and the chicks are on the ground.

May and June is critical to chicks. Don't mow your ditches...wait please.

Offline shakey legs 2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
And as much as we need the rain, pray for warm, dry weather.  We can have the easiest winter with a lot of hens making it to the breeding season and a cold damp spring/summer can ruin it all.  The two weeks after the chicks are hatched are critical as they lack oil in their feathers to keep off the elements and are vulnerable to the cold/wet weather.  Their main source of food is insects which helps to develop the oil.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly as much fun.? Robert Traver "Anatomy of a Fisherman"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Everytime I see a big storm moving through the western and southern regions of the state I say a little prayer for the chicks..... ;D

I think it can only be better than last year. Have some great memories from last year.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Four keys on having a successful hatch:

1. Carryover of a strong population of birds.

2. Good nesting conditions (Enough moisture for good vegetation growth but not enough to flood nests.).

3. Good hatching conditions (The peak of the hatch in Minnesota is the second week of June. Key hatching conditions are warm and dry.)

4. Good conditions for survival. (Plenty of vegetation and lots of insects.)