Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: custom 12 gauge, can i still hunt?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman
so i just purchase a new shotgun from a guy here. my question is can i customs some part of the gun and still legal to hunt? not much modify, like changing the handle that rest on your shoulder.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
so i just purchase a new shotgun from a guy here. my question is can i customs some part of the gun and still legal to hunt? not much modify, like changing the handle that rest on your shoulder.

Yes you can modify it. I am not sure if it'd be legal to cut it off into a pistol grip.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman
yeah thats what i want to know. if modify it a little can i still go hunting with it!?

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Pistol grips are foolish and pretty useless in hunting applications they offer poor control for an accurate shot if you want more comfort I would suggest a thumbhole aftermarket stock. you can shorten or lengthen the stock to your design
« Last Edit: March 03/07/08, 11:16:37 PM by kenhuntin »
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
One can do almost any thing they want to a shotgun accept cut off the barrel to shorter than 18-1/2 inches long.

Pistol grips,extended mag tubs, barrel shrouds,forarm vertical grips, cylinder bores  and all type of sights.(keep in mind, migratory game require a mag capacity of only 2 rounds)

They are all legal to hunt with as well, BUT like Ken pointed out it is not a good idea to use such a gun to hunt with as you will not have control nor will you be able to have accurate shooting.

If your looking for home defence a shotgun is better than a handgun in most situations, the reasons for pistol grips and shorter barrels are mainly to scare the crap out of a crook or look cool.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman
thanks fot the info. that was what i wanted to know. thanks! :toast:

Offline Cbxboy

• Outdoorsman
I am not completely up on shotgun length but on a rifle you would need to satisfy TWO requirements to be legal (State and Federal)

A rifle cannot be less than 26" OVERALL LENGTH.  Rifle barrel I think is 16"...but your not talking about rifles......I just wonder if a BB blaster has a similar OAL rule?

I know that as Benny pointed out the barrel MUST be longer than 18" -- mine is at 18.75 :)

I have never put a Pistol Grip on a shotgun but I would be willing to do so if I did not shorten the barrel.  A pistol grip in itself is not illegal and would not void your ability to hunt----just to hit what your hunting maybe :)

Benny the short barrel allows a quicker aquisition of the "bad guy".  Clearing a house with a long barrel does not allow for control.......in a home defense situation of course.

I don't see why you would like a PG?  I hold mine with the Buttstock against my waist.  I seldom need to pull it to my shoulder......unless I am actually hunting grouse in deep slashing, and that has only happened once.

Tim

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman
im planning on hunting deer and duck. does shorting your barrel increase anything?

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
If the gun had choke tubes, you'd be increasing the spread of the pattern of the shot.  It aint gonna be a good waterfowling gun, I think a cut barrel would have an open cylinder for a choke... And unless yer using buckshot for deer hunting, a slug aint gonna be that accurate out of a cut barrel.  Go buy a short turkey barrel for it, then ya can put tubes in it for whatever the use is.  I bought a 22" bbl for my express for turkey hunting.  Theyre pretty cheap.

Offline ku-tech

• Outdoorsman
yeah thats what i going to do is to buy the barrels.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
id imagine that a pistol grip would make it VERY difficult in hunting deer and duck.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
The only thing a barrel over 21 inches improves is accuracy . The powder charge is spent by the time the shot travels that far. Pattern spread is determined by chokes. A longer barrel is easier to hold on a target and helps with a good follow through.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I hope that you are talking about a pistol grip shoulder stock, if not and just a plain pistol grip you will be doing nothing except giving hunters a bad name and give the anti's more ammo against us. If I were you I would think long and hard about this decision before you make it.

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Oh and this is only my opinion so i do not mean to offend anyone.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The only thing a barrel over 21 inches improves is accuracy . The powder charge is spent by the time the shot travels that far. Pattern spread is determined by chokes. A longer barrel is easier to hold on a target and helps with a good follow through.

The powder isn't always burned up by then. A heavy load requires more and slower burning powder. I've had loads that weren't done burning out of a longer barrel. Shoot them in the dark once you'll see what I mean.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
well i agree with roosterslayer, if it isnt a pistol grip shoulder stock and your thinking just plain pistol grip i would strongly discourage you from hunting with it, you will more than likey injury most of the game you shoot at, from the sounds of it you want to make this gun into a home defense gun and still hunt with it? is that correct?