Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
As much as I am going to want to head up to Mille Lacs every week this summer I am not sure if it will be possible. The price of gas just to drive up there and then to fill the boat once a week... :bonk:

I better start trying to find overtime now!!!

I heard predictions of gas closing in on $4.00/gallon this summer! :bs:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
looks like less trips to the property for me..
less trips to ride the atv, :cry: :cry: :cry:

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :coffee: I raised my guide service rates in November in anticipation of the 2008 season. So far I've already got 35 trips booked with deposits. I'll have to honor the rates that were quoted, but may have to consider another increase for my future bookings.

Every day during my guiding season I burn a 1/2 tank of gas in the car with my round trip taking 3 hrs daily. That doesn't even count the boat gas. Then you always get these guys that gripe when the rates go up. I have to increase rates or go out of business. :violin:

It's nice for the guides that live near the lake since they have no Idea what it costs to travel 3 hrs round trip or spend 3 extra hrs on the road every day. I'll tell you what though. It sure beats wearing a tie to work! :fishing:

SMG
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I think everyone is going to be cutting back on some of the fun stuff because of gas prices. What scary to me is lots of the time I have a 200 mile trip to work one way. Once I get there I just get a room for the week but will also burn upto $600 a day in fuel. I have been keeping my eye open for a little gas mizer but they are also spendy right now with high gas prices.

It isn't just gas either. It's everything we need, food too.

I can guarentee my "fun money" is going to be limited. I had planned on going on a cruise this winter but just didn't have enough "fun money". That's just life.

They are talking $4 a gallon I'm hoping not as $3.50 is too scary for me.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
Here are some tips for saving money for gas:
Quit fishing--NOT
Buy Berkely instead of Loomis
Reduce tackle spending--most of it is completely a waste of space
Run 3/4 throttle or just enough to maintain "plane" in the boat (saves a ton of fuel) with little actual speed loss.
Reduce any excess boat weight, to reduce needed power-keep floor/carpet dry, remove unused seats, 1 anchor vs. 2, fill only one live well, every lb helps.
Use trolling motor at all costs
Fish smaller lakes (saves time/fuel changing spots)
Try to fish lakes closer to home ( i know thats obvious)
DO not use cruise when towing, you can react to coasting better than the computer.
Drive a little slower on the HWY 5 mph less adds up
Reduce changing spots and fish fewer spots more thouroughly (save boat gas)
Keep the boat / truck tires inflated properly--pulls easier
Pack a lunch verses Mcdonalds etc

Anyone think of others?

"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Here are some tips for saving money for gas:
Quit fishing--NOT
Buy Berkely instead of Loomis
Reduce tackle spending--most of it is completely a waste of space
Run 3/4 throttle or just enough to maintain "plane" in the boat (saves a ton of fuel) with little actual speed loss.
Reduce any excess boat weight, to reduce needed power-keep floor/carpet dry, remove unused seats, 1 anchor vs. 2, fill only one live well, every lb helps.
Use trolling motor at all costs
Fish smaller lakes (saves time/fuel changing spots)
Try to fish lakes closer to home ( i know thats obvious)
DO not use cruise when towing, you can react to coasting better than the computer.
Drive a little slower on the HWY 5 mph less adds up
Reduce changing spots and fish fewer spots more thouroughly (save boat gas)
Keep the boat / truck tires inflated properly--pulls easier
Pack a lunch verses Mcdonalds etc

Anyone think of others?

Makes sense and a lot of these tips are overlooked by the majority.

Hers another one.......

Carpool, try and get a fishing partner or 2 and share the expenses.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Drink less beer when fishing.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
Drink less beer when fishing.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
or drink more and go fish in the neighbors pool... you won't know the difference.

But like pat said... car pool!
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
I'm already in the process of looking for something that will be cheaper to drive to the cabin and still haul some things. There are a lot of things out there that will do better than my 11-13 mpg 4x4 pickup . The last time I went up was 2 weeks ago and it cost $86 for the round trip .That was without towing anything . Also that was the third weekend in a row of going up . I said when I built the place that it won't be worth it if I can't at least go up twice a month.  If I can at least get 20 mpg I'd be happy . Right now I'm considering a 2 wheel drive pickup with a 6 cylinder and a stick . Just have to remember not to go in those places that I might get stuck in .  I have a Saturn SL that gets 30-40 mpg ,that I can't sit in for 3 hours . Maybe even a mini-van .  I don't want to spend a lot , so I've already ruled out all the Toyotas and such . I went to the auto show over the weekend and by the time I got out there my head was swimmin with prices and mpg ratings . Anyone have honest mpg ratings for what they drive ? Not just guesses or head figures please .

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Suburban 12-13 city and 15-16 hwy. I'm due for a tuneup now, but have been good with normal maintenance over the years.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee guy's have you looked at the price of Diesil, a by product of gas. Now if the price of ddiesil was brought down maybe the pice of gas and all other products would come down to. After all  it is diesil that delivers all these products to you.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
They have been saying gas is going up to $4 a gallon for a long time... who know if it will. it wont matter we will still pay it..

Offline RavenDog

• Outdoorsman
Try to explain this to me.  About a month after Hurricane Katrina the price per barrel was  about $50, and gas prices were 3.00/ gal.  Now gas is 108 per barrel, and 3.10/ gal.  Either they are "giving" us a break, or we were getting screwed.  I have a "Ray of Hope"  to lower the price of a barrel of fuel.  Make smaller barrels :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Suburban 12-13 city and 15-16 hwy. I'm due for a tuneup now, but have been good with normal maintenance over the years.
My suburban is only getting about 11-12 city but 17-18 on the highway. I am waiting for the snow to disappear so I can get out the motorcycle and save alot of money on fuel.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Try to explain this to me.  About a month after Hurricane Katrina the price per barrel was  about $50, and gas prices were 3.00/ gal.  Now gas is 108 per barrel, and 3.10/ gal.  Either they are "giving" us a break, or we were getting screwed.  I have a "Ray of Hope"  to lower the price of a barrel of fuel.  Make smaller barrels :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
With Katrina the problem was that refineries went down. Just wait here a few weeks, driving will be up, demand will be up and winter to summer blend and change over will cause refineries to go off line.. 4th of July will not be any thing to wave a flag around unless it is a white one.. I hope I am wrong and everything I have read is incorrect...  :cry:
« Last Edit: March 03/10/08, 10:56:13 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
With Katrina the problem was that refineries went down. Just wait here a few weeks, driving will be up, demand will be up and winter to summer blend and change over will cause refineries to go off line.. 4th of July will not be any thing to wave a fag around unless it is a white one.. I hope I am wrong and everything I have read is incorrect...  :cry:

wave a FAG what??? did i miss something

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
With Katrina the problem was that refineries went down. Just wait here a few weeks, driving will be up, demand will be up and winter to summer blend and change over will cause refineries to go off line.. 4th of July will not be any thing to wave a fag around unless it is a white one.. I hope I am wrong and everything I have read is incorrect...  :cry:

wave a FAG what??? did i miss something
just a typo by me :whistling:
Bobby Bass

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I hear you all when I got my GEO it cost $16 to fill it now it’s about$29  Its killing me :cry:
But really, I am worried I do not know what I will do when or if she dies on me
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I haven't put a dimes worth of gas in my F150 this year.  Of course it's been parked since the last day of bow hunting!  :whistling: 
I think the best method is to share the costs with a buddy.  I think there should be clearing house site set up for this purpose.  You could post when/where you would like to go and others could check to see if there is a match. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
good idea deadeye! we will see if the big kahunas think so ;D

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
luckily we use e-85 so were still at 2.55 a gallon right now but it went from $30.00 to fill to $40.00 so it still hurts..Its getting outta control.If the fed drops interest rates again gas will go even higher because investors will be putting there money into futures in money. God bless our president
WOW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BULLHEAD!!!!!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just to make you all feel better. I know of a guy that picks up use cooking oil from restaurants and does something to his diesel engine so he can burn it up for about 2 cents a gallon. He does have to refine the oil somehow and mods are done to engine. Don't ask me what or how as it's way above my head. He does however go have a cup of coffee everyday at the cafe and picks up his daily supply of fuel at the same time. Guess he prolly figures he's saving money by cutting down on his mileage by making only on trip. That'd be an extra 4 miles round trip.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Just to make you all feel better. I know of a guy that picks up use cooking oil from restaurants and does something to his diesel engine so he can burn it up for about 2 cents a gallon. He does have to refine the oil somehow and mods are done to engine. Don't ask me what or how as it's way above my head. He does however go have a cup of coffee everyday at the cafe and picks up his daily supply of fuel at the same time. Guess he prolly figures he's saving money by cutting down on his mileage by making only on trip. That'd be an extra 4 miles round trip.

I think he is pulling your leg on the two cents a gallon. What he is burning is refereed to as Bio- Diesel. It does have to be processed and you can not just dump it into your tank and drive. Still the last I heard with the investment in equipment you can convert waste oil for around .75 a gallon. A huge saving that is only going to get better. Of course you do smell a little like a French fry but that is not such a bad thing.. I have a brother in law who burns Bio and he already has had others try and buy his free oil from a few restaurants that he gets his supply from. Willie Nelson powers his tour bus on Bio-Diesel..
Bobby Bass

Offline tattguy12

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
$3.16 JUST NOW AT THE SA BY MY WORK IN ST.PAUL :whistling:
WOW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BULLHEAD!!!!!!

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Think it was the state of wisconsin caught up to two guys making the bio fuil, made them pay back road taxes for what ever they figured the gallons were that they had made and drove on the roads with. Still a lot cheaper though.

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
$3.21 in Blaine . 109th and 65 . When I got back to Cambridge I filled up at $2.98 .