Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Reminder to anyone doing any skinning(WARNING)  (Read 1737 times)

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just got off the phone with a friend and fellow taxidermist from Oregon who was not wearing gloves while caping a buffalo. I know I'm also guilty of this from time to time but this was a wake up call, big time. He was caping a buffalo, a pretty simple job and an hour or so after he was finished he started feeling pain in his right arm and hand. He ended up with a flesh eating disease that untreated can kill someone within 12 hours. He went in right away because he could see a line moving up his arm. He was pretty lucky to have gone in as soon as he did. Had he not seen the line and obvious signs he may not have gone in, that's the scary part. There are not always such obvious signs. The point is no matter how simple of a task if your dealing with any kind of wildlife please make sure your protected. Latex exam style gloves can be purchased almost anywhere for less than a gallon of gas!!!!!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
i just posted about this and gloves too in another post, showing pics of a skinning with no gloves...

ummmmm ummmm yeppers.....
« Last Edit: March 03/25/08, 09:58:31 PM by Northerngal »
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not sure if it's the same one your grandfather warned you about but it's serious. And yes I wear my gloves religiously now after hearing that. Charles was skinning a buffalo though not a predator animal.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882