Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mississippi river fishing info..  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
What do i need for fishing the Mississippi river in wis???
What kind of pole and tackle...line  that sort of things
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i depends on what your targeting, i usually bring a medium to heavy action pole, use to use smaller lighter poles but i broke them all fighting fish on the river, you never know what will bite.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Whats all in the Mississippi river?
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
walleye northern muskie catfish carp bullhead bass smallmouth bass everything pretty much

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Really?
I know theres huge catfish in there... It is narrow then gets very wide in Wis in alot of places... and so muddy, and so much under bush and under tow too... was just wondering..

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
yep check those narrow areas.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
The mississippi has just about every spiecie of fish that you can imagine in it.  From walleyes to crappies and sunnies to pike/muskies to cats, and all the rough fish you want.  As far as equipment that you need, I would go for a 7 foot 1 piece medium action spinning rod with a good spinning reel like a shimano sienna in the 2000-2500 range.  I would recommend spooling it with 6/14 fireline.  That will set you up for anything you can imagine and help you bring it in.  That set-up is a great set-up to start out with, in my opinion.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!