Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: I quit chewing yesterday  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
My last chew was Sunday night before bed, so its been about 48 hours now. I'm going nuts right now though, at least there is none in the house. I've been eating lots of candy an chewing gum too.

Help get me throught this. How long will the bad cravings last.

BTW, i'm doing this cold turkey!
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
if anything like cigs, the first 3-4 days are the hardest
and gets better after that. good luck!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Iv'e tried to quit a few times in the past and could never get past this point. Never made it to the 3rd day. Thats why i'm flipping out right now.

I wont do it though.  :help:  :help:  :help:
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Good for you buddy boy.

What I remember about quitting smoking was the first two weeks were the hardest. My little trick was to immediately dismiss the urge from my mind when it hit. The quicker the better. Kind of like changing the subject. It seemed like the more I indulged it the more difficult it was to shake it. The urges come in a pattern similar to the pattern that I would smoke in (I'm guessing chewing would be similar). The urges get further and further apart and less and less intense. And eventually it all becomes manageable.

P.S. I had a cigarette on the one year anniversary and within 2 weeks I was up to a pack a day again.

Good luck Pat. You can do it.

Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
After i eat, having a beer, driving, watching tv. cleaning the house, etc.....

The only time i dont have a chew in is when i'm exercising. This is hard.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats Pat! Hang in there!  I quit smoking a lil over 6 months ago now.  Granted I put on 30 lbs since then-but not a big deal-summer is coming!  (I'm more active in the summer)  The biggest thing for me was challenging myself!  If you've never made it past 3 days before...well there's your next challenge.  Then soon you'll be thinking..."Hey-I've never made it 4 days without my pinch"....and so on.  My crutch is cinnomin hard candy-Brach's.  If I'm feeling like a smoke, or the urge, I pop one of those baby's in and I'm good to go!  I think it might have something to do with the "burn" I used to get with smoking.  Chew is sort of the same in that respect-you get a "burn" from the snoose juice.  

That's what I've done to get by and it's worked.  The only time I thought about smoking again was when I was in a bar-but I challenged myself not to give in-so far so good.   :happy1:  You can do this!  And just think the money you save can go towards more tackle or what not!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
After i eat, having a beer, driving, watching tv. cleaning the house, etc.....

The only time i dont have a chew in is when i'm exercising. This is hard.

and youwork out how much?? lol

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
CHEWING GUM!!!  I like the new  "5".  Try the blue pack "cobalt."  It stays softer longer.  The red cinnamin flavor tastes great but its tough and my jaws get REAL sore.

You can do this.  Think of all the things you've accomplished.  You accomplished them by being in control of your actions with them.  So do the same here. Control your actions.  No matter how much you feel you want it, CHOOSE something else. After a few minuets, the urg will subside and you'll be on to bigger and better things.

Congrats on making such a good choice for yourself.  Be brave and strong.

Grute  :party3:  (that's all of us Grutes dancin for you.)
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Still chewless and i 'll make it through tonight for sure. This actually helps to have a group supporting me.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well good for you, keep it up. Quitting smokin is a cake walk compared to chewin. I quit once for 1 1/2 yrs, why I started again I don't know? Anyway I'd have to say about a month.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Remember -- "One Day at A Time." 

Just say -- not "today" or if thats too long  -- not this hour...

You'll get through it, look back and be very proud.  I quite smoking and am SOOO happy for it.

Grute  :party3:

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Thanks. I cant sleep now and was having second thoughts..... Not this time.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Chewing is disgusting. No wonder you haven't had a girlfriend in 16 years Pat.....It all makes sense now. :puke:

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Chewing is disgusting. No wonder you haven't had a girlfriend in 16 years Pat.....It all makes sense now. :puke:

so what’s your excuse then TIM???

Offline Don Stenseth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos
Good Luck and don't give in. I gave up a 2 pack a day habbit 11 months ago when I ended up in the hospital for a week with congestive heart failure .
Don Stenseth's Wildlife Photos

www.sitekreator.com/donstenseth

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'm grinding my teeth right now.  :cry:
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Like they say, the first 20 years is the hardest.  Hang in there.  I think you made the right decision to quit.  Now that you went public with it, you just gotta stop.  :taz:
I never chewed or smoked so I can't really give any advice or relate to how it feels to quit.  Just know for we are pulling for you to succeed.  Just think of us each time you have the urge.....

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
Pat,
Good luck to yea..
Did you know there are many tobacco free chews out there ? plus online support groups ?
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I quit about 10 years ago.  The savior for me was sunflower seeds.  I was about to yank my hair out or buy a tin.  I went to the drug store in the mall I worked at in a frenzy to get a "fix".  I decided I would hold off on the tin and try to get through the next few hours with some seeds.  It gave me the oral fixation and something to "chew" on.  It saved me.  I also had a patch for two weeks.  Not a cure all, but it did take some of the edge off.  Good luck and stick to it!  Every day is a challenge, but it gets easier as time passes
« Last Edit: March 03/26/08, 09:27:08 AM by UncleDave »

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I really was grinding my teeth earlier this morning. Not as bad right now, once i eat lunch it will start all over again.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Chewing gum my friend.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i agree on the sunflower seeds, salted in the shell.

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline GOGETTER

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 :happy1:
Go Pat Go!!   Geno
GENO

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
We are now stocking gum for ya in chat...   :happy1:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Remember, the cravings usually last for a short time.  Short term torture for long term health.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Pat.. keep on keepin on!  I chewed plug and Cope for years.  Its been like ten years since I quit, cold turkey.... I still shudder when I smell a fresh tin when opened...ahhhh!(sorry) ;)  But seriously, the clincher was when I hit the dentist almost a year after quiting and he told me..." looks like Greg decided to quit chewing, huh?" I never told him I chewed, but he said good goin, and said I could tell you of horror stories of some patients issues with cancers and other medical issues directly related to chewing... I knew all that before, but that was all the intervention I needed.  I chewed since I was a kid...chewed when I played hockey, in high school, (during classes!) pretty much all the time... I still miss it from time to time, and I think I always will.  But quitting is one of the best things Ive ever done.  For me, NOT replacing the Cope with a crutch worked best for me.... gum and all that stuff just reminded me how much I missed the real deal, but whatever works...Just quit!  Use the force, Luke!  :happy1:         -thunderpout

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

PAT PAT, HE'S OUR MAN,
IF HE CANT DO IT,
NO ONE CAN!!!!!!!

....See now you have to do it...I wore my cheerleading outfit and everything for that one!!

Wer'e all cheering for ya Spin!!!

:dancinred: gg

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
The blaze orange one or the camo?   ;D