Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: bears and berry crop  (Read 2515 times)

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
 :newhere: Anybody have any info on the berries, cranberry, hazel nuts, acorns. etc... in N. MN planning on bear hunting and just wondering. :help: We hunt every year and the less berries the better we do. Thanks

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't know about the northern part but I was out last Saturday in the central part.  I didn't see a lot of raspberries but the hazel nut crop looked good.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Joe@deerhunters

• Outdoorsman
Let's just say I am glad I did not draw a tag....... Tons of hazel nuts, which may be a competition problem come baiting and hunting time.  Berries of all kinds are abundant also. They will be healthy for sure.

I am out of Grand Rapids.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
NDGUY

I was up fishing at our cabin by Mille Lacs, and tried asking a few locals what the berry crop was like. Well, I didn't get much of an answer from them either because they bear hunt, or they didn't know. I will more than likely find out next weekend when I am up there.

What zone are you hunting?
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
anyone ever use pudding for bait I got 98 gal of chocolate

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
25 been going there for 9 years, but this year we are moving to the n. west a bit towards crane lake but still going to bait the old favorites, as you might know 2 yrs ago it was a bitch lots of berries etc... and no bears for us that yr.thanks for the help in asking around it means alot

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
be careful choc.if given in lg. amounts can make them sick  :puke:(get the sh-ts) but if its mixed w/other things its ok :happy1: in gen. ya its good stuff. we always try and offer them 4 diff. types of food. base grain/dog food/grease, bread/donuts :chef:, :popcorn: candy (choc) frosting,fruit/veg. and some meat/fat :spam: and let them tell us what they like :toast:

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
we are going south of cloquet quota and non anyone have any knowledge of the area

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Did anyone get out and set up their bear baits?

I set up two stations that are located in pretty sound areas away from the crowds, but all the scouting I did for forage led me to believe the bears had picked through all the berries that were in the area. There weren't many oak groves where I was situated, but the one bait site I set up pretty much got destroyed by a smaller bear when I checked and re-baited it Sunday afternoon.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
going to set up baits this week-end, then not until the following week-end then stay and hunt for a week, thanks for the berry info, from all I've heard sounds like an early crop and gone by now and where we hunt not many oaks or hazel nuts so we'll see

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last week I checked an area in the central part of the state.  Lots of red oak acorns and hazel nuts.  Acorns are green and still in the trees.  Not going to fall for some time yet.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***