Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anyone been out?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Wondering if others have been having any luck.

I didn't get any traps out last w/e as I had to build a shed for the horses. Settin traps after work in the dark is slow going an needs extra caution. (all kinds of stuff you can't see in the dark that make you fall)

I am not laid off yet so have been trying to get out around 50 sets to run after work. Day b4 yesterday run 19 traps with 7 mink a skunk an a coon of which one mink an the coon were stole. Another mink was canibalised so my take home was 5 mink an a skunk.

Yesterday with 36 sets out was knid of dismal as I had 10 sets that were molested by coon but with no catch. I make my sets primarily for mink, because of this I would normally have 2 or 3 out of fifty sets where I miss the coon but not 10. I guess it's my fault trying to be in a hurry I was a little sloppy in my set construction. Anyhow caught 4 mink,2coon an 3 rats. Two of the rats were ate by coon/mink.

With the rain coming down some of my sets on the larger creeks are under water from catch all the run off. I am hoping to get out some more sets now that I'm rained out but it will be slow going as I must learn a different technique to set my traps. See yesterday with 3 traps left to run I slipped an bruised my hip an broke 2 fingers in my right hand.(yes I am right handed) Well I think they are broke anyhow as I can't bend them and they are as big as a fifty cent piece. Heck I can't even grab a good hold of my skinning knife.

Well today will try to get out more an see how it goes.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Nice report Griz. Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your dinged up fingers and hip. You seem amazingly nonchalant about it. Take care of yourself.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Spent the last couple days just raising sets due to the rains. Most sets were under 4-15 inches of water. Catch was only a couple of coon. One stretch of ten stops proved I have a problem. I had conected with 7 mink right b4 the rain but only had empty traps up on the bank.

Bumped into a friend who does a bunch of trappin. He said the weather has been hard on his catch also down from 70-80 coon to six. He was doing the same thing I was, raising sets.

Had to stop and do some boot repair a few times as barbed wire hiding underneath the water is kinda hard on waders. Speaking of which I have 4-5 pair and can't find any of them. If I could I'd just carry them around as spares for such instances.

Anyway today I plan on adding on to my line. The last few days have been slow going with my sore fingers but they are feeling much better. Theyweren't broken as I'd thought due to the swelling but that has went away somewhat. Atleast I can get my hand in my rubber glove. My right hand did get a bit cold not being able to fit it in my glove. I don't expect the catch to be real good as it seems to take a day or so after a storm to get the critters to move again.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am setting tomorrow. I am getting a really late start.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman

Sorry to hear about your dinged up fingers and hip. You seem amazingly nonchalant about it. Take care of yourself.

Maybe be so but just because I look at it differently.

Most call a scar an old cut and when a broken bone heals but not as straight as it used to be, they call it an old injury.

I just call them character marks and by the time I die I'm gonna be quite the character.

BTW the fingers weren't broke just hyperextended the knuckles a bit.
« Last Edit: December 12/04/08, 04:55:51 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson