Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2008-2009 Ice reports  (Read 9530 times)

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
Lets keep an eye on the ice, so everyone stays safe this winter
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
well... URL is iced over... and out of johnson's portside on Mille Lacs, Steve said the ice went out about a mile.
 :cold:
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline mnsportsman49

• Outdoorsman
  • ehhjioeigfoeioieoijeijo
 :banghead: :banghead:
THIS IS WHERE I START GETING ANTZY  :fishing2:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
A good share of the lakes are iced over round here. Some have an opening in the middle yet. The ice around the shore I can walk on but can still kick a whole in it with my heal too.

I'm thinking we should have enough ice to go spearing by opener. Well hopefully thinking anyway.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline speedymax10

• Minnow
  • One Shot One Kill
Walked out on North Long lake today, Ice is about 6 inches thick. this is on the north side. I did notice about a quarter mile out it looks pretty thin. I also seen a couple of houses out on 371 bay and round lake

Offline rocklake488

• Minnow
There was 9" of clear Ice on Rock lake north of Pillager as of Sunday. Some wheel houses were on the ice. There was a large ice heave at the launch.
It's not the story, but he who tells it.

Offline BigYooper

• Outdoorsman
Waconia still has a couple of thin open patches, it won't be long now.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
That was cool... I like the way they say "out"! ;)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
That was excellent. I hope I never get to test his techniques.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline 02mini stockr

• Outdoorsman
i saw a small clam out on lower prior lake today he was about 30-40 yards from shore, that guys got balls!
If you own a firearm you have no excuse not to be an NRA member, if your not join the NRA today!!!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I went skating this afternoon out on Fish Lake in Maple Grove. Started in the bay near the boat landing and headed north. It's hard to tell the thickness but I'm going to guess 4-5". I was skating along and mostly looking down at the ice - low light conditions and starting to snow. Three quarters of the way up the lake - all of the sudden maybe 50 yards ahead of me - a whole lot of geese floating in open water. What the...? How can that still be open? I noticed the ice looked thinner under me at that point and I turned around and headed back to the landing. I was amazed to find any open water on that lake.

The End
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
The End

Thankfully it wasn't "The End" for ya!  Next time tie a rope to a tree on shore, and to your waist. And wear a lifejacket!  (What a site that'd be!)  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/05/08, 05:38:30 PM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Kens Tackle

• Outdoorsman
    • Ken's Tackle
Fish houses are on the smaller lakes in the Battle Lake area.  Otter Tail just froze over a week ago.  Walleye fishing has been good.
Ken's Tackle
28497 County Highway 145
Battle Lake, MN  56515
Phone: 218-495-2895
Gary Peterson, owner

We have fish houses & equipment for rent.

Offline Kens Tackle

• Outdoorsman
    • Ken's Tackle
Fishing Reports on Otter Tail Lake and Battle Lake area

Ice conditions on Otter Tail Lake are 8 to 18” the week of December 28th. Some slush in spots and in others 2 feet of snow.  Some plowing is being done so access is good to the lake.

Perch are caught in 8 to 30 feet of water with a jig minnow combination. Maynard Jigging Spoons are most popular.

Walleye’s are being caught in 15-25 feet of water with a jig & minnow.

Smaller lakes have good ice and pan fish bite is good.

West Battle Lake is producing crappies in 22 feet suspended 2-4” off the bottom.

Hagemeister Guide Service has openings for ice house rental. Give Ross a call at 218-495-3140.

Check out our store for a complete line of ice fishing tackle, bait and electric augers. We also have rods, cameras, locators for sale and for rent.

What's biting?
Give us a call at 218-495-2895 for a daily update or email kenstackl@hotmail.com
Ken's Tackle
28497 County Highway 145
Battle Lake, MN  56515
Phone: 218-495-2895
Gary Peterson, owner

We have fish houses & equipment for rent.

Offline letgofishing

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey buddies

Let u know we went Roberds Lake @ Faribault
We caught 19 nice crappies over 12" and some nice sunnies today
We ll go back tomorrow morning @ Roberds Lake...
Also Mazaska lake yesterday we got 55 nice sunnies...
Daniel Rud

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
As of Last Sunday, there was about a foot of ice on the St. Croix near Bayport, and was catching crappies in 35-40 FOW on a size 10 Diamond jig tipped with a minnow, as well as a teardrop in glow in the dark and purple tipped with a minnow.  Both set ups were placed about 3 feet off the bottom, and left with 10 crappies between 10 and 13 inches, with many more released, and a few white bass thrown in for good measure.  Big key, watch your vex.  inches count.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline willowmaker

:archery:As of lastnight 1/11 there was 23" of ice on Fish lake just out of Duluth. Some smaller pressure ridges but the roads are great. Fish are coming out of the usual places. I finally went home with a limit to clean. Happy hooking all. Stay smart and safe

Offline ThunderLakeLodge

• "See You At The Lake"
    • Thunder Lake Lodge
Hello all,

Just got our Thunder Lake Lodge ice fishing house rental out on the lake yesterday for the first time this winter.  We have been building it for the last month or so and finally just finished it.  We placed the house in front of the lodge in about 15 fow.  Last night, we landed a 23" walleye and a few other rock bass.  Tonight, I went out by myself and it was pretty slow.  Marked a few fish, but no takers.  Not sure if the house in on an ideal spot right now, but we just wanted to get it out as soon as possible.  I have been in the process of plowing paths with the ATV in order to get to more desirable locations in our bay.  We were using jigging spoons tipped with minnow heads as well as bobber setups and fatheads. 

The ice on Thunder right now is anywhere between 10-15" depending on where you are at in terms of depth.  Ice house numbers are starting to accumulate in our bay as the ice conditions get better.  We hope to be able to get out more in the coming weeks to get you more reports on how fishing is in our area.

Feel free to check out pics of our ice house rental here:  http://thunderlakelodge.com/blog/
« Last Edit: January 01/18/09, 09:11:45 PM by ThunderLakeLodge »
Just Livin' the Dream...
www.thunderlakelodge.com
Thunder Lake Lodge - Remer/Longville, MN

"See You At The Lake"

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the update!  Nice looking fish house too!  :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Desperado

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • N St Paul, MN . . . via . . . Big Sky Country
I'm gonna start looking this weekend.
I would've waited until Dec 5, but I'm gonna be at the IceFishing show that weekend.
Will post a report Sunday night I find any ice anywhere other than at the bar.
Happy Trails
Des,  IBOT # 328

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
ponds and a few sloughs are iced over down here by Mankato.
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline fubar

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
theres enough ice for turtlin' on the small lakes around cass lake. nows the time to gaf some snappers.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
It looks like we might finally start making ice.  Down here in Winona its going to be around 32 for the next 7-10 days.  Its about time we get this cold weather, I want to get out on the Ice and start catching some fish!
I would say we will atleast have a little sheet on the lakes by the end of next week!  *fingers crossed* then its only a matter of time!

:fishing2: