Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear hunting  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
A few questions.

Does bear taste good?

And is there another way to hunt besides baiting/assasinating?  (With apologies to those who hunt that way).

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I think you can find some bear trails, and put stands up by them. Try by acorn stands, or by berries.

Let me know how you do this coming year.

Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
ive never hunted bear but i hear that its good. i have also heard that you have to skin it and butcher it as soon as possible before the fat makes the meat taste sour.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
Bear tastes wonderful but is high in fat. but if you take your time and debone it out its great.

As far as baiting goes it does offer a great way to determine age and sex which helps with management :green archer:

You could try bear calls,berry patches and trails and still assasinate one :whistling:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I have not heard of anyone taking a bear without the use of bait or dogs. but good luck to you if you can.

bear tastes fine almost a sweet taste to it. cooking it in a crock pot seemed to stink up the house, but it tasted real good.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This year i had mine made in to jalapeno cheddar brats and a few steaks. As for baiting goes its not that easy it takes time money gas and it lets you make sure there's no cubs. ????? for you do you use scents when you deer hunt

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I have not heard of anyone taking a bear without the use of bait or dogs. but good luck to you if you can.

It's about like hunting mountain lion without dogs. I know out west they spot, stalk, and occasionaly throw a carcass out there to shoot bears, but I would have to imagine in the timber and swamps up where I have hunted them that don't afford a hunter the opportunity to glass long distances it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This year i had mine made in to jalapeno cheddar brats and a few steaks. As for baiting goes its not that easy it takes time money gas and it lets you make sure there's no cubs. ????? for you do you use scents when you deer hunt

I tried to use scent killer, but when I got my first deer this year I was in my normal scented clothes.  Either I got lucky or I got ripped off.

I am skeptical on the scents.  Do they work?  This time of year?

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you put out doe pee or mineral licks or plant food plots  is that assassinating when they come in

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
locally it would be very difficult if not impossible to do. out west is a different kind of hunting all together, but it is beautiful country.

I once investigated the assasination of a bear... it was tough because the rabbit wouldn't tell us what he knew, the deer kept saying the skunk was the "trigger" man and skunk lawyered up about as quick as he could. a squirrel swears he saw a racoon in the grassy knoll but it's just a theory :rotflmao:
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
I think it would be very difficult to hunt a bear without baiting... Right? I mean in mn. I don't know a whole lot about bear hunting but isn't that kind of SOP to bait in MN?
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey, I killed Bambi's aunt, and I have no qualms about it (she is delicious!).

But personally I only like to kill animals I eat, or animals that are destroying my property (such as those blasted racoons that destroyed the corn in my garden).  If the deer I killed did not taste good, it would have been the last deer I killed. 

I am still debating going on a coyotee hunt, because I have never had a problem with a coyotee and, I like dogs.  Now, if I had a few chickens killed by a coyotee I would no doubt change my mind.

The one exception is, if I ever catch a 46" or greater musky, I am mounting it.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Bear like oats so if you get one coming to an oat field regularly it is a little better than waiting over a pile of pastries. They wreck the crop by laying down and scooping the plants with thier arms and eating the tops. As was stated earlier that hide needs to come off right away. Alot of  guys like to take it into town to show everyone and wait for all their buddies to come see before cutting it up. This is a bad thing to do. Bear tastes good. And Muskie is one of the best tasting fish that we have in minnesota. It does not even compare to Northern. If you mount one save the flesh. Bake a section of it whole with the bones in at 350 for an hour or until you can peel out the bones and then sautee pieces to kinda firm the outside. You will not have had better tasting fish. Honest.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
A few questions.

Does bear taste good?

And is there another way to hunt besides baiting/assasinating?  (With apologies to those who hunt that way).

I think your underestimating how difficult bear hunting can be. It can be a lot of work to run multiple bait sites and just because your baits are being hit doesn't guarantee you'll even see a bear.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have lived here in MN since I was 5  spent all my time the woods when I wasnt skipping school camped,fished,hunted ALL over this state started hunting with a bb gun so that would be about 38 years now and DONT see quiting for another 20 Ive never hunted bear but my dad did he got 1 over a bait station it tastes great just get ALL the talow off and cook it slow soak it in salt water if you like to the salt water trick works great on beaver so that bring me to this post BEAR hunting not deer I got that coverd from what ive learned out west were you can see for 400 yards or so yes you dont use bait or use dogs (I like my dog and illeagle) just glass and go for it let see any one glass a bear in a peet bog coverd with blue berryies and pine trees by the time you see it you are DEAD so how are U going to SEE a bear in MN hang out by a dump cant illeagle, stalk good luck, camp on a trail better move in to that stand and shoot at night oops illeagle so what to do watch it on TV getting OLD, bang on a key board that is slow going. So we bait like I said never bear hunted how do I do it what are the finer points start a new POST ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
first find yourself a place where there are bear, most farmers are willing to give permisison for bear hunting, once you find a place where you know there are a few bears and you get permission apply for your license.  baiting can be done a number of ways and all I can share is the way I have done it...   we've used 5 gallon buckets or hollowed out logs.. bury em to the brim and we use a section of log to sit on top with a rock or another log holding the top on. this will keep racoons and what not from eating your bait. then we rake the area out around the station, this will allow you to see tracks in the dirt/sand... this way you can tell if you got a sow/cub or see how big the tracks are. your stations need to be attended too every few days. if you have a hot station that is getting nailed you want to fill that baby often or your bear will move on. as far as bait goes, fryer greese is good, dump this on old bread or what not, call local bakerys and see if you can muscle in because chances are someone else collects their dayolds. call your buddies that work for general mills, purina or any of the local food manufacturing plants. they can get you drums of old cereal and what not. watch the local classifieds some guys sell bait, but I've never seen it where I was willing to buy it  $$$. I'm sure I left some stuff out but this gives you a general idea