Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mr. Heater Buddy or Sunflower style  (Read 11256 times)

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What type of heater do you use and what type of house are you heating with it? 

My brother is debating which one to get, he has a Clam 6800.

:cold:
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got the Eskimo Quick Flip II portable fish house.  I bought the Mr. Heater Big Buddy only because I can always turn the heat down should I get too warm.  With the Buddy heater I was concerned it might not warm the house enough on cold windy days.  For the most part I only use one burner on the Big buddy once the house is warmed up.  It takes maybe 10 minutes on the coldest days to get it warmed up enough to drop it down to one burner. 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have a buddy jr that i use in my one man fish trap.  I also have a sunflower style that I use in my large 2 man fish trap.  I also have a mr heater cooker that I use when I want to save some space.  

The 6800 is a good size shack.  I would think that you would want to get a mr heater or a mr heater cooker to save room.  Especially on the cold days
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have a Yukon and have used both a Mr Heater Cooker and currently use a Big Buddy. The Cooker threw off plenty of heat, but I have to say I like the Big Buddy better. On high it's plenty of heat, usually use it on low except for really cold or windy days. I run it off a 20lb tank that sits outside and have a filter for the hose (a must).  I have two buddies that run Buddy Jrs in their Yukons, and it seems they are always fighting to stay warm, especially on the colder days. I'm always in a sweatshirt when I fish.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to add, the only thing I don't like about the Big Buddy, is you can't cook on it.   :scratch: Hmmm....maybe they need to come up with that next?! 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to add, the only thing I don't like about the Big Buddy, is you can't cook on it.   :scratch: Hmmm....maybe they need to come up with that next?! 

that's the best thing with a sunflower.  You get the right sunflower attachment, you can flip it up and cook on it.  what's better than sitting on the ice, rods down, and cooking eggs and bacon at the same time?
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I have sunflower heaters, and all the Buddy heaters.... The Big Buddy, the original Buddy, and that new little Buddy.(great for My little original trap & deerstand, next year ;))  Pros on the Buddy heaters:  The big one HAS A BUILT IN FAN to blow the heat around like yer furnace at home :bow: :happy1:, They have the screw mounting holes on the back so ya can get em off the floor & out of the way if ya have walls or another way to rig it, they all have the low oxygen & tip over shut off, & can run off both bulk tanks AND the small canisters, so if its just a half day outing ya aint haulin a big damn tank with ya :happy1:.... Cons: besides not being to cook on em, they are a little finnikey when outside in the wind, But for me the Buddies are definatly the way to go, no brainer, hands down the way to go.... Hey, if ya want to cook... get a little one burner that screws on a canister...15-20 $.... fits in a pocket!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Like my grandpa once said, if yer eating(let alone cooking) you aint fishing! :whistling: eat before you go fishing.... :scratch:

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

Here is a sunflower with propane tank (1/2 full) for $40 on CL.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/spo/984256356.html
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have the Buddy Heater!! I have a frabill XL ranger two man flip.  This heater works great unless its under 10 degrees, then it needs a little bump from the coleman lantern.  What I did is went to Menards, bought the fuel filter and a five foot hose for a 20 lb tank hook up.  no more green bottles of propane floatin around.  the setup was a mere 20 bucks well worth it.  and I dont get al light headed from those  :censored: sunflowers.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
The thing I prefer about the Buddy heaters over Mr. heater is You do not have to listen to the combustion roar of the Mr. heater. The buddys are quieter.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
MnMoose, the filter & hose setup is definently the way to go!  I do the same thing.  Plus then I don't have those  :censored: green bottles to contend with when they're empty. 

Kenhuntin, I totally agree on the noise-or lack thereof.  The Buddy heaters are nice and quiet!

As for cooking I already have a small propane Coleman cookstove that does the job for me. 

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
and I dont get al light headed from those  :censored: sunflowers.

Amen to that!  :bow:  I hated that with the sunflower. Buddies are safer for sure...and quieter aspreviously stated.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
You get headaches from the sunflowers due to the carbon monoxide that it produces in higher levels.  If you're using them in well ventalated areas (as you should), you will get less headaches.  The headaches are one of the first signs that carbon monoxide poisoning is starting to set in.  Which is also why you might get a little sleepy after the headaches set in>

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats why I dont use em anymore(sunflowers) for ice fishing, houses are confined, unventalated spaces... if ya leave the door open, it kinda defeats the purpose eh?  ;)

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
a lot of portables have zippers or velcro on the windows that you can open.  It helps with the CO and doesn't let too much heat out.

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have them all...Mr Heater/Cooker, Mr Heater buddy, and the two burner Mr Heater..love them all

THinking of staying the night on the ZUmbro tomorrow night in my new ice rig (old camper converted in my shop this week) and the Buddy will come with...has the low O2 sensor in the pilot...will leave a window cracked too.....hoping that's safe enough
"If it ain't freezin', it ain't fishin'"

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd almost suggest bringing a CO detector too, especially if you'll be sleeping in it.

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Deffinately can't be too safe when it comes to a heater in house. I was fishing through the night on red lake a couple years back with a mr. heater/ cooker. I nodded off a little bit and started having horrifying dreams... had to step out of the house into -20 degrees for a bit to replenish my oxygen.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
exactly!  I'd rather come home safe to my family than try to stay a little longer for a few more fish.  If you're getting headaches and a little drowsy, open the vents, and the door a little bit while you step outside for a few minutes.  You'll cool off a bit, but you'll wake up, the headache will go away, and you'll make it home safe.  Regardless of if you have a sunflower or Mr Heater buddy, always keep the vents open.  You may have to keep it on high, but in the end, what's going to cost more: that extra propane, or a funeral?

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
Mr. Heater or the Mr. Buddy, Ford or Chevy
They both do the job. JUST USE YOUR NOODLE
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman

Good point Spuds! 

My dad taught me a lil lesson. If your eyes get sore/dry then the air needs to be refreshed. 

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman

that they do.  whichever you choose, just vent the house.

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the input fellas.  :bow:  He went with the heater/cooker and bought the hose adapter  to keep the tank outside.  We fished Saturday with it and with one vent open had no troubles.  Plus we were nice and toasty!

Good luck to everyone

SJ
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
glad to hear that you enjoyed it and stayed warm!

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I have used a heater/cooker for years and love it. It will blast you out of the house with heat. Cons is that you can get light headed. Open the vents on your house and you are generally fine. I got a Big Buddy this year and not nearly as happy with it. They are very tempremental when you try to light them. Won't always stay lit and is not nearly as warm as my heater/cooker. It is, however quiter than the cooker as well. On an extremely cold day I will use the heater/cooker and on a more mild day it will be the buddy as you don't have to worry about burning your canvas.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm having the same problem with my buddy...will do fine for awhile, then acts like it's starving for gas, and click..it goes out.

restart it and it runs for awhile, then back to click...

Thoughts?

My heater/cooker is TOO much for the shack, the buddy is PERFECT, but it needs to stay running...any help would be appreciated.

I have used a heater/cooker for years and love it. It will blast you out of the house with heat. Cons is that you can get light headed. Open the vents on your house and you are generally fine. I got a Big Buddy this year and not nearly as happy with it. They are very tempremental when you try to light them. Won't always stay lit and is not nearly as warm as my heater/cooker. It is, however quiter than the cooker as well. On an extremely cold day I will use the heater/cooker and on a more mild day it will be the buddy as you don't have to worry about burning your canvas.

Offline slugofishhunt

i had the same problem using my buddy with the small tanks till i hook it up to the 20 lb tank then it work fine stay running

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just the opposite here, does it with the 20# tank.

HOw many of you guys use the "recommended" filters on them?  I have, didn't like the way they worked, so I stopped using it...could this be it?  NEeds a filter?

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
from what I understand they malfunction without the filter and they recommend replacing the filter yearly. Still need a kerosene heater?
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects