Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How long do you fish a hole before moving on to the next  (Read 1930 times)

Offline askhim

I have been reading some post about drilling a bunch holes to get the best action.  Now my question is this.  How long should one fish a hole before moving on to the next hole?

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
It depends on if there's fish there, and how they're biting.  If they're not there, I will obviously move right away.  If they're being tight lipped, I will give it about 5 minutes to see if I can entice one.  Otherwise, if the hole(s) have been successful for me, I will fish as long as the biting continues, and then usually wait 10 or so minutes before moving.  Make sure to drill your holes!
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
I usually drill 10+ holes right away and drop the flasher down to see if any are "hot". Weather permiting (at least 0 degrees  ;)) I like to sit on a bucket and fish outside of the house for a while and find the hole that is consistent, waiting maybe 4-5 minutes at a hole without a bite. If none of the holes produce I like to move, depending on the lake, 30-50 yards or so.
Granted if its snowing like crazy, 20 below and windy I might not be so selective...
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline BK19

• Outdoorsman
    • keechracing
i move right away unless there are fish or fish biting and then i will go back to the first hole and repeat if there are still no fish or action i will move to a whole new area
my wallet is as empty as a monday morning church

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I usually drill 10+ holes right away and drop the flasher down to see if any are "hot". Weather permiting (at least 0 degrees  ;)) I like to sit on a bucket and fish outside of the house for a while and find the hole that is consistent, waiting maybe 4-5 minutes at a hole without a bite. If none of the holes produce I like to move, depending on the lake, 30-50 yards or so.
Granted if its snowing like crazy, 20 below and windy I might not be so selective...

This is the way to go. If it's decent outside, drill a bunch of holes so you can hop around and get on the fish. I'm guilty of not doing that as much as I would like to. Sometimes it's nice to just puch a couple of holes and sit in your house, not always teh best way to get on fish though.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.