Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trout fishing Ely  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Babes

• Outdoorsman
  • The Best Little Bait Shop in Ely!
    • Babes Bait & Tackle
Finally some fish worth traveling for. The lake trout bite on Burntside lake has been steadily improving. Many nice fish have been taken this past weekend. Methods may vary, but the most popular has been jigging. Whether you are using spoons, chubby darters or airplane jigs the results are the same, people are bagging some nice fish. Ciscoes and suckers are a good alternative for the second line, usually a tip up, try hanging them ten to fifteen feet down in forty-five to fifty-five feet of water.
The rainbows are active on Tofte, High, Dry, and Miners lakes. Some dandy brook trout are also being reported. Small spoons or jigs tipped with waxies or minnow heads are working for them.
You won't catch them sitting on the couch, get out and go fishing. This weekends weather will be fantastic.
Babes Bait & Tackle

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Hey Russ -

This summer out on Miners we caught a bunch of small trout, about 12-14 inches long. They ever get anything bigger out of that particular lake??

Thanks

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
just my personal opinion.......you got the best bait store in minnesota.....

i heard tofte was giving up some rather nice splake last weekend......any truth to that one??
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Tim,
I remember when I went to college up there years back, we used to fish Miners late night.  That used to be the time when we hammered the larger rainbows.  I think the biggest was around 19 or 20 inches.  I'll have to dig for some pics.  The best luck I always had was off the landing fishing a slip rig between 20-30 FOW with any glow in the dark gamagatsu snell hook.  Cast out as far as you can and it never took long, usually one or two beers HAHA.  I found the key is to weight the line generously to get it down quick and use a larger thill balsa float.  That lake is also well known for extremely large bucket mouths too...one of the few lakes up there that holds largies!!

Good luck

Moose