Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: newbe trout  (Read 3740 times)

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hay all thinking about trout fishing this year. Never did it going to be fishing from shore or in a canoe. What typ of bait can I use. How do all of catch them?
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have only fished them in lakes.  I have had good luck with spoons like dardevils, little cleos, and mepps spinners and blue fox spinners.  For live bait I have only used waxies
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Kool going campping down in the south east side of the state in june. Want to catch some fish 

Offline insanity tackle

• Outdoorsman
  • Creatin crazy stuff since 1999...actin crazy 4ever
I've only done it on a small stocked lake up here.  We used air filled worms along with anything that gives off a good shine, but, the best luck that I have had is actually using the Berkley trout bait along with a treble hook with a small spinner above it.

I hope you have good luck and find something that works for you.  Trout is by far my favorite fish to catch!

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
what about minnows and other live bait

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Hay all thinking about trout fishing this year. Never did it going to be fishing from shore or in a canoe. What typ of bait can I use. How do all of catch them?

Where are you thinking of going? Lakes or rivers? You'll just have to watch the specified rules for each body of water, trout fishing regs are a little fussy.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline Adam Ellingsen

I fish for rainbows north of Crosby. We got over a dozen pits full of them up here. I catch them on mepps spinners, some tiger rapala's and power bait. Power bait seems to work the best at night and mepps spinners work the best during the day. Ive only caught a couple on rapala's but i don't use them often.

Offline mahmoodmahi

• Outdoorsman
This is a bit late, but if you or anyone else wants to start trout fishing with bait do this. get a light or ultra light spinning rod and a small bobber, 4 pound test line and number twelve hook. Keep the bobber a minimum of two and half feet above your hook. Use night crawlers, red worms, grubs, or in the spring water worms (expensive  but it is like trout crack). Drift this combination over the areas you think might have fish, just drop your line in front of you, wherever you want your drfit to start and leave your reel open while the current carries your bobber down stream, if your bobber disappears with a fast motion you probably have a fish. This method has worked for me all over the world, and it alaways outfishes pluncking, and outfishes fly fishing if there is not a massive hatch on.
« Last Edit: August 08/13/09, 07:27:36 AM by mahmoodmahi »

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well i am back from my trip went to lonsdale the root river. friend of mine lives down there he looked at all the tackel I brout with Witch none of it is for trout fishing just a few things. So this is what I did. Used my cat fishing pole a 8' glow stick real ABU 6500c3 line 50# power pro 2oz flat slip sinker a swivle and a smaller hook with 8# mono leader. Just a bit of over kill but I could get to the other side of the river. We got 5 browns 1 was 16 1/2". I NEED MORE TACKLE !