Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Smallmouthguide's Boundary Waters Adventures  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Well, I finally put together some photos from our July 2006 Basswood trip. We were fortunate enough to spend 3 weeks at La Tourell's Resort and I portaged in to Basswood each day with 6 days off over the 3 week period to get my land legs back. The water temps this year were less than 70 degrees for the first 5 days and after that it became hot to say the least. Fishing was tougher than usual this year, but persistence usually pays off and it did.

Much of my fishing was done alone, but it was a welcomed break for me since I needed some time alone after a hectic Spring/early Summer guiding schedule.
I did get a chance to hook up with Bob Dahl (Dr. Bob) a local veteran of Basswood with a degree in camping, fishing, local landmarks and gourmet sandwich preparation. Bob and I took a relaxed approach to our day on Basswood considering the drought and area heat wave along with the distant forest fires. We still managed a 28 1/4..28 1/2.. and a 31 inch walleye.

Part of our afternoon was spent sight seeing and we managed to get some photos of the old sunken steam boiler in Hoist Bay. Then we ventured into Back Bay getting some nice bonus photos of a cow and her calf hunkered down in the shade.

Bob and I stopped off at Skidway campsite for a brief visit with Bob's pals Pogo and Darrel who were relaxing in the water sitting in their lawn chairs. We also ran into my friends Jim and Becky from Indiana and they were also camping. Jim stated they were getting low on Ice so I brought up a few blocks the next day.

I did a guided trip for Roger Banks from Harvey Illinois who was staying on Shagawa Lake and was able to put him on a 27 1/2 and 28 inch Basswood walleye along with some nice keeper size eyes. This was his 5th guided trip with me over the years and he sure enjoys himself. Overall the fishing was somewhat slow this year, but Basswood still managed to yield some real trophy fish for us just as it always does. The total mileage on the water for the 3 weeks was 511 miles and that was with cutting back from prior years travels.

Most of my fishing was done back trolling in waters averaging from 16 to 36 ft. Lindy rigs with 6 # test line and & # 8 hooks accounted for most of the trophy size fish. 40 inch northern...21 inch smallies & walleyes up to 31 inches. Basswood is an outstanding body of water, but the fishing slows down rapidly as the sun creeps up toward the noon position. That's generally the best time for a lunch break, site seeing, or a nice swim. Depending on the wind and cloud cover you can experience exceptions to this pattern. Late afternoon fishing usually begins to pick up as the evening approaches.

*All of the lunker size fish were photo and release as usual. Many of my awesome fish were caught when alone so I couldn't get photos of them.
? ?
If you would like to see some of the fish photos along with some other shots of interesting sites from my 2006 July Basswood trip click my web-page??I'm looking forward to next years trip with hopefully some cooler weather. My wife Kathy did manage some nice fish on the days she fished with me. She also like$ to vi$it Fortune Bay Ca$ino to play bingo and the $lot$ twice a week and $omehow managed to come out ahead thi$ year.

http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_'06.htm

See ya on the water,

smallmouthguide

GOD BLESS THE BWCA!
« Last Edit: August 08/30/06, 07:01:40 PM by smallmouthguide »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Those are some awesome fish pictures!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline MT Net

• Outdoorsman
Nice pics on your site! lots of nice fish! 

I think I've seen and released a couple of them from the west side though.   ;)  Now the long wait until next season.  But first, we havta walk on the ice. 

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Awesome to say the least.? It was an increadable day that I will never forget!

I sure wish we were there again right now!? It is another one of those lousy up nort days with blue sky's and a nice breeze.? D*mn is sux being stuck in this building .>:(

Thanks again Lee.? You are a great guy regardless of what Harold said.? ;)

BTW - We are camping on Fall Lake this weekend and my son and I are contemplating renting a canoe and portaging into Pipestone Bay just for the h*ll of it.

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
Not only do I have to get back up to the BWCA, I have to get up there with you...  WOW nice fish SMG. :o :o

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
"Thanks again Lee.? You are a great guy regardless of what Harold said."

Doc,

Harold?? Harold?.... Wait a minute

Do you mean that handsome looking older gentelman? 8) with the fashionable wardrobe dat's always tryin ta hang wit chew guys? ::)

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do you mean that handsome looking older gentelman? 8) with the fashionable wardrobe dat's always tryin ta hang wit chew guys? ::)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
whatchu talkin about Willis?  :o

Sweet pictures!  Man, three weeks in Gods country.  There's nothing like it.  I'm heading to the Bahamas on the 7th for 10 days.  I didn't pick September to go, the company did.  I wonder if I could trade it for 10 days at Latourells along with 10 day permits????

My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you could I'd have to call in with Jigganosys!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Harold,

Thanks for the feedback. Hope you enjoy your trip and don't forget to post some photos of your tan line when you get back. That's for the ladies of course........and Dr. Bob. :-*

Doc,

You were born with Jigganosys and everyone already knows it. ;D

Many BWCA Reports