Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Building a skid house  (Read 11385 times)

Offline pikechaser

• Minnow
Planning on building a skid house, looking for building reccomendations, would like to try & keep it lite, but solid...not sure if 2x2 walls would be ok, or if 2x4 would be better..etc...thx

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Well being a RV tech, most of the trailers are studded in 2x2s. My choice
would be 2x4s if i was gonna build one. then decide which siding you want
to install. for insulation, pm me.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I think 2x4's are a little over kill but 2x2's are too flimsy . I went everyother one a 2x2 then a 2x4 . all window frames were 2x4s
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
And If its gunna be on skids make a system for the skids that the bottom side will be easily replaced if on breals or gets frozen in the ice ever. I ahver heard of people running big bolts under the floor to hold the skids . once they need to replace a skid it turns into a gut job fast!
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline KoRn_2956

• Outdoorsman
all i do is bring some scrap 2x4s with and put them under the skids.  the scrap crap freezes down and your skids remain free.  no replacing anything.

Offline KoRn_2956

• Outdoorsman
oh yeah, and i use 2x4s for strenght and extra insulation space.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I've built houses outta everything, I've settled on 2 X 3's. They seem to be plenty strong yet lighter than a 2 X 4.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 7outof10

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
all i do is bring some scrap 2x4s with and put them under the skids.  the scrap crap freezes down and your skids remain free.  no replacing anything.
i hope you chip them out once you move your house i hate it when people leave the wood in the ice ........my boat hates it even more in the spring time

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
PM sent pikechaser.
I would go with the 2x3's so you get the strength and insulation value.Then use a light wieght underlayment and siding with panneling inside.

Insulate the floor too and make sure to keep the skids seperate from the main floor.

Isle lumber sells plates with jacking lugs welded to them that you bolt to the skids and then to the floor on the side.

I am sure some one else makes them to but I know they have them at about $15 a plate.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"