Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2009 Hunting Contest Rules  (Read 13628 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You guys crack me up.  Must be a slow hunting day.   :rotflmao:   
Auggie, I almost had a bow kill for you to mount but it was one lucky buck.  As far as I know he didn't get killed during the gun season so maybe next year.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Thanks for the laughs guys..  :happy1:

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
You guys crack me up.  Must be a slow hunting day.   :rotflmao:   
Auggie, I almost had a bow kill for you to mount but it was one lucky buck.  As far as I know he didn't get killed during the gun season so maybe next year.
So deadeye wasn't the deadeye after all.  :oops1: did I say that. It's Ok I missed a dandy this fall myself. Deadeye if he was a mounter this year, just think (I mean dream all winter long ;)) what he will be next year!
« Last Edit: December 12/14/09, 08:53:28 PM by Auggie »
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Auggie,
Just in case you missed my post back in October, here is the story.  I still can claim "deadeye" because I did not miss.

"I don’t know what to call it, bad luck, bad timing, lucky deer or just hunting.  At any rate the big boy got away.  At 6:30 Saturday (middle of October) evening, I saw a deer headed towards me.  He was in brush and small trees so I didn’t see him until he was about 25 yards from my ladder stand.  As he approached I saw antlers, and then BIG antlers.  I could see the wide spread massive main beams but never did get around to looking for points.  I was at full draw as he cleared the brush and a small tree about 12 yards from my stand.  Just as I lined up on his shoulder and hit the release, he turned his head and looked up at me.  The events at this point unfolded in what seemed slow motion.  The arrow arrived just as his huge main beam crossed his chest.  There was a loud “clang”, sparks flew, and the arrow deflected up just over his back and lodged in a log about 6 feet behind him.  Needless to say he didn’t hang around for a second shot but I did get a good view of him as he bounded away leaving me with a severely bend arrow and major disappointment. From what I saw of him, I can say he had a wider spread and more mass than the 13 pointer I shot last year."

I'm sure he was bigger than the 8 pt I shot this year with the rifle.  Yes, I sure hope to see him next year. I can't wait for next year bow season. 

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Ouch! That is a tough break. My story is a little different.
    To make a long story short, I am blaming my stand. ;D I built a new enclosed stand to hunt late season out of. The main reason was for my son Gage (5years old)who likes to come with. The longer he is warm the longer I get to hunt! But I will be honest, I kinda enjoy the warmth myself on days like today when the temps are about 0.
      So anyway I see three deer coming and they are about 150 yards out. One is a dandy. So I open my window. The window I speak of is an old rear window out of a pickup topper. You will see the relevance of this in a moment. So as the deer get closer I see that it is three bucks running together. I found this odd and was trying to see exactly what we had coming. I stick my smoke pole out the window and had decided the rear one was good enough to take even though I couldn't count points yet. So he stops about 90 yards out and is not coming any closer. No problem as I am dialed in. 2" or smaller groups at 100 with no rest right. Well just a millisecond before I squeezed off the one shock fell from the window and banged on the side of the stand. So the smoke clears. No deer. No blood. No hair. A clean miss. I figure I either shot over him or under him as he jumped or crouched which ever it was. I decided the day was done and I reloaded and set a ice cream pail where the deer had stood. Just to check the gun again. Have a great rest again. Still right on. Call it buck fever if you want, but I doubt it. With the size deer I handle on a daily basis either in the pen or the shop it takes a pretty big deer to get me anyplace near flustered. I am still blaming the stand!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Auggie,
So all you have to show is an ice cream pail with a hole in it. 
This is my souviner.  I still shake my head when I hold it.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Well you can look at it like this. That little keepsake will make the story that much better next year when it is hanging under the shoulder mount of that bruiser after the bow season next year. Heck, you still have a little time left this season!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota

Broken Arrow + hole in my bucket, = No  :deer:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   
« Last Edit: December 12/16/09, 07:14:02 AM by wildlifeminnesota »

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
       There's a hole in my bucket,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear deadeye, dear, deadeye ,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear deadeye, a hole.
Then fix it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
Then fix it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, fix it.
With what shall I fix it, dear deadeye, dear deadeye?
With what shall I fix it, dear deadeye, with what?
With some straw, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
With some straw, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, some straw.
The straw is too long, dear deadeye, dear deadeye,
The straw is too long, dear deadeye, too long,
Then cut it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
Then cut it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, cut it.
With what shall I cut it, dear deadeye, dear  deadeye?
With what shall I cut it, dear deadeye, with what?
With an axe, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
With an axe, dear  Auggie, dear Auggie, an axe.
The axe is too dull, dear deadeye, dear deadeye,
The axe is too dull, dear deadeye, too dull.
Then sharpen it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
Then sharpen it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, whet it.
With what shall I sharpen it, dear deadeye, dear deadeye?
With what shall I sharpen it, dear deadeye, with what?
With a stone, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
With a stone, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, a stone.
The stone is too dry, dear deadeye, dear deadeye,
The stone is too dry, dear deadeye, too dry.
Then moisten it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
Then moisten it, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, moisten it.
With what shall I moisten, dear deadeye, dear deadeye?
With what shall I moisten, dear deadeye, with what?
Try water, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
Try water, dear Auggie, dear Auggie, try water.
From where shall I get it, dear deadeye, dear deadeye?
From where shall I get it, dear deadeye, from where?
From the well, dear Auggie , dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
From the well,dear Auggie, dear Auggie, the well.
In what shall I fetch it, dear deadeye, dear deadeye?
In what shall I fetch it, dear deadeye, in what?
In a bucket dear Auggie, dear Auggie, dear Auggie,
In a bucket dear Auggie, dear Auggie, in a bucket.
There's a hole in my bucket, dear deadeye, dear deadeye,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear deadeye, a hole..

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/15/09, 11:21:35 PM by wildlifeminnesota »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Your way to funny.  Must be a slow day at the shop.  I may go bow hunting again if my son wants to go but my hunting partners took away my arrows, bullets and black powder.  :rotflmao:

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Your way to funny.  Must be a slow day at the shop.  I may go bow hunting again if my son wants to go but my hunting partners took away my arrows, bullets and black powder.  :rotflmao:

You can not  :fudd:. Because you can not use bullets in MN it close and you can not use black powder because that is close in MN and you can not use a Broken Arrow. So your partners (your Dog) is smart!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: