Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rifle Ammo  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Backstrap

• Outdoorsman
Wondering if anyone has used different brands of rifle ammo and gotten different results on the target.  I understand different grain may affect it.
For example say you site-in with 150 grain remington.  your sited in perfectly.  Then you practice with 150 grain winchester and your shots are all over.  Has anyone had this happen? 

Also what brands have you had the best luck with?

Offline tcbirdhunter

Buy 2 0r 3 different brands and find out wich one your gun shoots the best and stick with it.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
Buy 2 0r 3 different brands and find out wich one your gun shoots the best and stick with it.
good idea, but also, site in with what you plan on shooting.  Not as obvious with a gun to some people, but you would never target practice with a 100gr tip on an arrow and then shoot 125 broadheads when deer hunting.  Gun ammo isn't any different.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
by the way, i found someone to hand load for me, and my groupings have never been more consistent.  now if the deer just cooperate and come out some other time then in the middle of the night.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I always by Hornaday ammo (not that they are the best, but I have had the best results with them).  One of the biggest mistakes people make when buying rifle ammo is only buying a box or 2 here and there.  Buy 5-10 boxes and check to make sure they are from the same batch.  Boxes from the same shelf may have different numbers.  This will usually give you the best results unless like stated above you can hand load your own. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline NatDSAddipt

Just went to Bimart and all their centerfire rifle ammo is 2 off.

A good time to stock up on .223

they have XM193 and American Eagle for 7.99 before the discount.

Limit is 4 boxes of each caliber.
Thats a great price for brass reloadable .223/ 5.56

Offline fishercz20

• Outdoorsman
I think I know how you feel about Winchester ammo.  :fudd:

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I do the same with my Shotgun slugs. (I have a scope on my shotgun)
This year i bought a box of the Hornaday's for $10 and they actually shot worse for me than the $3 Remingtons.  But i have to sight in the scope with 3" shells since thats what I shoot every year.  I try to get about 5 or 6 boxes at a time and ill use them up first, and then when its time to buy more I may have to tweak the scope a lil.
Definitely though, sight in your scope with the rounds you will be shooting :)
Ive never had great luck with Winchester slugs, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact I have an Remington 870, thats why Remington slugs work the best?  :scratch: WHO KNOWS!

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
One of the big differances between ammo manufactures is the powder each one uses.
Also the manufacturer of the different bullets as well, some use Seirrea some use Hornandy ect. so that can make a difference too.

I would pick a brand you like then stick with it if it shoots good for you.If your not happy try another brand but once you find the one brand you like remember to stay with it for the accuracy to be there for you.

Good luck, Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"