Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: timber on state land  (Read 5218 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
does anyone know if it is legal to cut up downed trees on state land?  I can't find anything on this, not sure where else to look. I wandered onto a few nice oaks that were down on tax forfeit this year and think I want to cord em up.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I think if you are a resident of the county you can get a permit.  Kind of depends which county you are talking about.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline mncowboy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i get a permit every year to cut wood on state land. go talk to your local dnr forester first. he can cut you a permit or send you in the right direction.
monty

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
A friends brother gets a permit every year for his home firewood... Im wondering if you still can with the emerald ash borer deal going on .......... :scratch:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll give him a call.. must of had a big storm roll through my area last year/this year... found a dozen or so trees topped and one really nice big oak split in 2.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
not to hijack your thread beeker. but how did you do hunting?us nothing i had a 23 pointer on my trail cam 10/26  but it ended getting shot about 2 miles strait south of me a week ago. and yes it was a nice racked 23 pointer with drop tines. i dont know how to post pictures or i would.  sorry for get off subject for you. scott

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I was wonderin how you guys did.. we had 2 nice 8's on cam.. we passed on a bunch of little bucks.. 5 total and a nub. waiting for a nice one..   we ended up with 2 does and one fo the 8's he was 23" inside spread we got that buck the last weekend .. I'll work on a pic as well. gonna head up again this weekend just to check things out and to get the cams back out

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
not to hijack your thread beeker. but how did you do hunting?us nothing i had a 23 pointer on my trail cam 10/26  but it ended getting shot about 2 miles strait south of me a week ago. and yes it was a nice racked 23 pointer with drop tines. i dont know how to post pictures or i would.  sorry for get off subject for you. scott

I wanna see!! my email is in my profile, email and I can post.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=4

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
sent pictures MNO, i missed typed the number of points it was only a 21 point

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
ohhh it was only 21 points... gheeessshhh way to let a guy down.   I would love to see it. it's always nice to know that those genetics are floating around in that area... I was up to the land today.. followed a coyote track down our trail. think I'm gonna have to take a poke at him this year. got the trail cam back up .. have to see what survived

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
beeker we didnt get anything my 10 year old son didnt have the shot he wanted on a fawn so he didnt shoot.that was all we saw,first time in 8 years we ate tag soup.we are not far from you at all were just down county 26 going west (mile marker 93). im hopefully headed up next weekend to go cat hunting.i sent MNO the pictures, i said he could post them if he liked. i dont have a kill picture though,i do but its only the head hanging in the kids garage.and that is on my phone sent to me from the  neighbor who saw it.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
didn't see anything when my daughter was with me. which was a bummer. but we're determined to get some "cleaner" food plots in next year and with the passes to the little ones this year we're hoping they come around next year. 

I think I had some fox tracks around there too.. what type of cat are you chasing?

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
we have a bunch of gray fox running around  at our place. im hoping to go bobcat hunting now that theres a little snow on the ground.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Here are the pics..

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'ld pass just because I don't think I could count high enough with all those points.. or for that matter have to explain to everyone how I shat myself when I dropped that guy. 

thanks for posting those.. that really made my morning to see a guy like that wandering around where I hunt.. maybe black powder will have to happen next year.

I didn't realize there were bobcat in that area... interesting

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
heres a pic of one of the bucks that is from this year too... I got sick of reprograming the time and date when I changed the battery out
« Last Edit: December 12/06/09, 09:36:22 AM by beeker »

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
heres another buck we saw this year.. this guy is still out there... as far as we know. again I'm too lazy to sit and reprogram the date and time.. we would just figure it out since I checked em every week

Offline mcgarth

• Outdoorsman
thanks MNO for posting the pictures. beeker the kid that shot that deer was going nuts after he shot it understandable. you have some nice looking bucks over your way. for bobcats yes there are quite a few actually,they got two behind my place last year. a big 36lb. cat to boot.it will be my first year out cat hunting so it should be a blast.alot of walking and running after the dogs.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I've run dogs in wisconsin before.. it can be a blast.. good luck with the cats.. thinking of trying for those coyotes this year.. I've only been a "opportunist" when it comes to the coyotes but think it would be fun to give it a try