Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Whats the longest shot you'd take  (Read 14676 times)

Offline blazer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm curious as to what the longest shot my fellow bowhunters would take with confidence in the field.  I'll start it out.  The longest shot I would ever take at a whitetail would be 30 yards or less.  I mean I can hit at further distances, but I am most confident when it comes to distances less than 30 yards.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  -B. Franklin

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ??? probably around 25 yds and no more then 30, as i am new to this bow hunting deal. but from my practice i can hit 3 arrows in a 4 inch circle at 25 yds ,100gr. carbon shaft. ? what about those muzzy 100gr 3 blade, does anyone like them ? :-\
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
I'd be comfortable around 25 yards.
As far as broadheads I am shooting some 125 thunderheads on some beaman classic 340 shafts and they fly great!

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The farthest shot I would consider taking would be 50 yards right now and the tracking conditions were right, fresh snow, or cool weather, etc, etc.

I smoked a doe saturday night at 28 yards, quartering away, complete pass through. She stood there, shivered once, took a side step, wheezed, stumbled, wheezed and fell over on her back dead as a rock. I got to track her in inches. Now I had her and three others one out at 70 yards and I drew back on her at 47 as she was getting ready to walk back into the woods, but for some reason they turned and kept coming so I said why not.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am shooting Carbon Express M<axima Hunters with white blazers and white double bull archery wraps and for the business end, I am sticking it to them with Magnus Buzz cuts 100's.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
The farthest shot I would consider taking would be 50 yards right now and the tracking conditions were right, fresh snow, or cool weather, etc, etc.

I smoked a doe saturday night at 28 yards, quartering away, complete pass through. She stood there, shivered once, took a side step, wheezed, stumbled, wheezed and fell over on her back dead as a rock. I got to track her in inches. Now I had her and three others one out at 70 yards and I drew back on her at 47 as she was getting ready to walk back into the woods, but for some reason they turned and kept coming so I said why not.

Come on now Chris..... 50 yards? Too much can happen in that distance, resulting in a wounded animal. Any attempt at 50 yards would be a very bad decision in my opinion.

35-40 yards would be the farthest I would like to see anyone shooting, no matter how experienced or how great their equipment is. My personal comfort zone would be 30 yards.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
We have a Member on here who in a Bow Hunting Expert. It is what he does.....He also is one of our quietest members.

If your reading you know who you are......please chime in. I would like to get your input on this.

« Last Edit: October 10/02/06, 04:43:07 PM by Mayfly »

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Come on now Chris..... 50 yards? Too much can happen in that distance, resulting in a wounded animal. Any attempt at 50 yards would be a very bad decision in my opinion.

35-40 yards would be the farthest I would like to see anyone shooting, no matter how experienced or how great their equipment is. My personal comfort zone would be 30 yards.

Well hey there Pat, opinions are like a@#$@)(* and everyone has one of them.

A 30 yard shot is a chip shot for me. But then again, when we practice, we practice shooting frisbees, and twice the distance we ever plan to shoot, so if you add it up Pat, 50 plus 50 equals 100 yards. The reason we do that is anyone can hit x's at 20, not much can go wrong, so when you extend the distance out past what you would ever shoot  your mistakes are magnified, so you work on correcting them. Plus then when you do get that 20 yard shot, its just going through the motions, not a target panic, never shot a deer this far before.

50 yards for you may be a bad decision for you and I respect that, I am capable of making that shot. Trophy animals are truly that and they deserve the best from the hunter, if I was ever presented a shot within 20 yards and I thought I had to "force" a shot, I would not take it. Same thing farther out, if I am not comfortable, I don't take it. When I take an animal, it gave its best in chase, its going to get the best from me as well, I wouldn't have it anyother way.

You also have to remember that 90% of my hunting is on the ground, where I dont have to worry about obstructions

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Let me start off by saying that I respect you a lot, always have and always will. But these comments your making are a little over the top, actually quite a bit arrogant.

Your saying that you practice at 100 yards, to be able to make your 50 yard shots that much easier? A 30 yard shot is a chip shot for you? that is the most arrogant thing I have witnessed in a long time.

I consider myself an above average shooter as well, but not so good that a 30 yard shot is a chip shot, I also practice at longer ranges, but not double of what my maximum range is. I have friends that are considered expert shooters as well, (guys that split arrows) these guys shoot all day and every day, they can hit a penny at 50 yards 100/100 times, they don't miss. But target shooting and ethical hunting are 2 different things.

I'm not saying that you can't hit a target at 50+ yards with comfort, but shooting at live animals at that distance is just plain stupid and unethical.

I personally practice 35-40 yard shots at the range regularly, but limit my shots to 25-30 yards in the field, this is common practice for 99% of all proffessional bow hunters. (give or take a little ).

That is my opinion. ;D

« Last Edit: October 10/02/06, 01:45:21 PM by Spinach »
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
someone piss in your weaties this morning spinach? ;D
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
well it's kinda heated in here
first I'll say i will not shoot over 40 and thats with a clean shooting lane and alot of practice!  40 yd's on paper I shoot about a 3 inch group

I believe I could shoot further but why? If your a archer you should like the up close and personal shot, you should know deer movement and where to set your stand or blind,you should love the hunt and want to hit the woods again if thats what it takes.
It seems to me the bigger the rack the longer the shot people will take. When it should be the oppiset. I for one have gut shot very large bucks earlier in my hunting days. and will try my best not to do that again.
If I'm seeing bucks 50 yd's away I would start moving my stand/blind But thats my hunt and were all different.

Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
None of my comments are meant to be personal, just my opinion. I have known Chris Wallace for about 4 years now, I've fished with him a couple of times too.

I just do not agree with his comments this time, I would of posted my same comments no matter who I was speaking too.

MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
I don't care who you are, if you make claims such as chris has made here, then you should be prepared to be scrutinized.
I dont care if it is at buck masters, or achery talk dot com or where ever.
chris, if you truly do hunt from fifty to one hundred yards, then you are above ALL of us.
we're not worthy....we're not worthy...... :laugh:
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Shooting Distance

Myths abound about how far archers should shoot at game. Some bowhunters are religiously opposed to shots beyond 30 yards, 35 yards or 40 yards. In reality, ethical shooting distance must be an individual choice - not a rigid, mandated matter.

Most beginning bowhunters cannot hit a deer's vital 8-inch chest zone beyond 20 or 25 yards. Most intermediate and advanced bowhunters can hit an 8-inch target out to 40 yards. A few gifted, dilligent bowhunters can extend their game-getting range to 50 or 60 yards. Every archer should keep shots at game within his own personal "sure kill" limitations.

A few bowhunters believe that longer shots increase the chance that target animals will move and take non-vital hits. However, statistics indicate that closer animals are more intimately threatened by danger and thus more likely to jump, duck, or wheel at the sound of your bowstring. For this reason, there is no ethical objection to shooting at 50-yard or 60 yard deer, provided these animals are calm, and hunters are certain they hit the mark.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Shooting Distance

Myths abound about how far archers should shoot at game. Some bowhunters are religiously opposed to shots beyond 30 yards, 35 yards or 40 yards. In reality, ethical shooting distance must be an individual choice - not a rigid, mandated matter.

Most beginning bowhunters cannot hit a deer's vital 8-inch chest zone beyond 20 or 25 yards. Most intermediate and advanced bowhunters can hit an 8-inch target out to 40 yards. A few gifted, dilligent bowhunters can extend their game-getting range to 50 or 60 yards. Every archer should keep shots at game within his own personal "sure kill" limitations.

A few bowhunters believe that longer shots increase the chance that target animals will move and take non-vital hits. However, statistics indicate that closer animals are more intimately threatened by danger and thus more likely to jump, duck, or wheel at the sound of your bowstring. For this reason, there is no ethical objection to shooting at 50-yard or 60 yard deer, provided these animals are calm, and hunters are certain they hit the mark.

I agree with this quote 100%.

But like the quote said, a few gifted, dilligent bowhunters can extend their shooting range to 50-60 yards. A few meaning the elite, best of the best, expert marksman.... etc.... If a person makes a claim that they belong in this elite group, then they should be famous enough for us not to be having this debate.

The point I am trying to make is target shooting and hunting are 2 different worlds, a lot of people can shoot beyond 50 yards, but like the original quote said, only a few elite bowhunters should even think about shooting at deer at 50-60 yards. Hmmm.... maybe Chris is part of this elite group?
« Last Edit: October 10/02/06, 08:42:14 PM by Spinach »
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
When my uncle went out to oregon for elk hunting last year he was accurate out to about 50 yards with his recurve.  That is with NO sights or anything.  He practiced a lot putting in a hundred + shots a night getting ready.  Also my other uncle who goes out west every year antelope hunting is probably accurate out to 60+ yards with his compound.  I believe if you put your time in practicing and you know your own limits it is up to you what you can do.  It isn't like they just go out and just fling arrows at whatever moves like some people do without practicing and just don't care.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I don't care who you are, if you make claims such as chris has made here, then you should be prepared to be scrutinized.
I dont care if it is at buck masters, or achery talk dot com or where ever.
chris, if you truly do hunt from fifty to one hundred yards, then you are above ALL of us.
we're not worthy....we're not worthy...... :laugh:

I am prepared to take scrutiny Jiggle, but to have someone say that I am an unethical hunter, who has never hunted with me is also a little over the top. I have not lost one deer yet, knock on wood.

I practice all year, up to seven days a week but typically three times a week is my average.

You also mis read this wrong jiggle, I do not make shots while hunting at 100 yards, that is strictly summer and spring shooting.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Let me start off by saying that I respect you a lot, always have and always will. But these comments your making are a little over the top, actually quite a bit arrogant.

Your saying that you practice at 100 yards, to be able to make your 50 yard shots that much easier? A 30 yard shot is a chip shot for you? that is the most arrogant thing I have witnessed in a long time.

I consider myself an above average shooter as well, but not so good that a 30 yard shot is a chip shot, I also practice at longer ranges, but not double of what my maximum range is. I have friends that are considered expert shooters as well, (guys that split arrows) these guys shoot all day and every day, they can hit a penny at 50 yards 100/100 times, they don't miss. But target shooting and ethical hunting are 2 different things.

I'm not saying that you can't hit a target at 50+ yards with comfort, but shooting at live animals at that distance is just plain stupid and unethical.

I personally practice 35-40 yard shots at the range regularly, but limit my shots to 25-30 yards in the field, this is common practice for 99% of all proffessional bow hunters. (give or take a little ).

That is my opinion. ;D

Pat, I respect you as well, we both know that, I understand taking fire from you for my choices, thats life.

Pat you have never hunted with me, so you dont know my morales or ethics, so dont say that I make unethical decisions.

Try this pat, go out and shoot at 70 yards, thats twice the distance than your maximum range, shoot five or six ends at it. Than walk over to the 35 and see and feel the difference, I guarantee you will.

I have more than my fair share of "robin hoods" as well, I have them all in the basement.

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
30 is the limit of my "comfort zone."  I have a buddy that just took a 6X6 out in MT at 45.  HE is, without a shadow of a doubt, the very finest bow hunter/archer/tracker/rock-steady shot I've ever known.  He NEVER wounds animals, he kills them.  He said that 45 was his limit.  He won't reach out to 50 and beyond for the myriad common sense reasons out there, namely the time it takes the arrow to reach the animal.  If the animal shifts it's body - just a bit - between the time you shoot and when the arrow hits its mark, you just may have taken a very, very bad shot.  How would you like to "wing" a majestic 6X6 bull and never catch up to it?  He lays down later and expires from a gut-shot.  I wouldn't like to be responsible for such an irresponsible shot.

Offline WillowWaldo

• Outdoorsman
What kind of sites do people use to shoot 50 yds? If somebody can hit a penny at 50 yds (wow), I can't see a penny at 50 yds. Maybe with a scope.

I've only been shooting for a couple of years. A couple hundred shoots a year, and I feel comfortable between 20 to 25 yds.

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
ok I  don't know if this will help but check it out any how if you got a min

hope it works???
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
where did Daveo's posts go?

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
where did Daveo's posts go?

They are missing......? From where?

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I grew up hunting with a guy who constantly harvested deer at distances I thought were just too far, but he was a great shot and he practiced often. Most of these deer were taken before the time of the compound and all the other fancy bells and whistles we have now. Which to me makes it even more amazing.

Every archer should keep shots at game within his own personal "sure kill" limitations.

I practice out to 40 yards. I personally have never shot at a deer over 30 yards, but then again I've never had too. ;D?
« Last Edit: October 10/04/06, 02:26:05 PM by MetroJoe »
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
He had 2 post here this morning but they are gone now.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Wasn't me. I never saw them. Maybe he removed them himself.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman